Big brother of Marcinkiewicz 8H BS 6 1/2 AL

MrHCinDE

Big brother of Marcinkiewicz 8H BS 6 1/2 AL

Post by MrHCinDE »

I’ve been quite liking the feel and sound of a Marcinkiewicz 8H BS 6 1/2AL on large tenor for the upper trombone parts in small ensemble playing.

I also like the EBT3 on big band bass or 3rd trombone (usually tenor) in concert band, but it doesn’t quite work for me on the upper tenor trombone parts.

Can anyone decode the Marcinkiewicz numbering system and recommend something with a similar overall design to an 8H, just slightly larger inner rim diameter? Basically somewhere between the 8H and EBT3.
Posaunus

Re: Big brother of Marcinkiewicz 8H BS 6 1/2 AL

Post by Posaunus »

I suggest contacting Graham Middleton, trombonist & tech (& TromboneChat member) who now works for Marcinkiewicz. He'll set you straight.
Last edited by Posaunus on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahambone

Post by Grahambone »

Hello All,

Just logged into TC for the first time in a while and saw this questions.

Interesting question. Not sure we currently make anything that exactly fits this bill. Some of the mouthpieces fit into sets. For example:

Models 7G, 6E, 5F all have similar rim designs, but with different cup depths

Models 9, 9B and 4 all use the same rim, but with very different cup shapes and sizes

Models 5J and 4 use the same cup shape, but with different rim diameters

The 8H is in a group of its own. Very soft rim contour and bite, with a V shaped cup and an open throat entrance. Not really the same as a 6 1/2AL in any tradition measure, but it has a similar cup volume and balance.

The EBT3 Tack is a super efficient bass trombone mouthpiece. Roughly a 1 1/4G rim (maybe a touch narrower) on 1 ½G depth cup with a pretty small backbore. I used one of these that I really liked with a Olds P22 George Roberts bass trombone I had. I think I might have opened up the throat a bit.

MrHCinDE, for your I would recommend the Model 3. It uses the same rim as our old GR mouthpiece, but with a more large bore tenor cup shape. Not the same design as the 8H, but a larger rim diameter and should be a better for the upper parts than EBT3.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,

Graham Middleton
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks Graham for the detailed reply and recommendation.

I‘ll keep my eye out for a Model 3.

Please keep coming up with your interesting designs! The Marcinkiewicz stuff I‘ve tried has always offered something a bit different from the ‚mainstream‘ and is an enrichment to the range of mouthpieces out there,
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:29 pm Thanks Graham for the detailed reply and recommendation.
Please keep coming up with your interesting designs! The Marcinkiewicz stuff I‘ve tried has always offered something a bit different from the ‚mainstream‘ and is an enrichment to the range of mouthpieces out there,
:good:
SquareTube

Post by SquareTube »

This might go without saying, but consider supporting mouthpiece makers with a new purchase, rather than used. (I'm a poor follower of my own advice...)
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

SquareTube wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:03 pm This might go without saying, but consider supporting mouthpiece makers with a new purchase, rather than used. (I'm a poor follower of my own advice...)
I‘ve got a 3-week business trip to a place about 40 mins from Thomann in a couple of weeks so will stop by and have a look at the Marc. 3 and a few other things.

I might also try out the small shank version of the Marc. 8H whilst I’m there. I already know my chops get on well with the rim and reckon it could work really well with my new-to-me 3B+.
SquareTube

Post by SquareTube »

I love my 7G BS on large tenor. I'll likely get another soon, since my horns & mouthpieces aren't always in the same place...

Return to “Mouthpieces”