Lexan FTW,

bassbonebuster

Lexan FTW,

Post by bassbonebuster »

I just returned home from playing my way through ITF and unexpectedly came away with a DE XB Lexan 112,L,L8. I’ve been more than happy with my GB Lone Star and nothing at ITF came close to pulling me away from it until I decided to try Doug’s new XB series. I tried the Lexan simply because it was already on the piece and was quickly seduced. I spent half an hour going between the XB and my GB and simply couldn’t put down the Lexan. What an incredible feel to the face. I thought I preferred slippery silver or gold rim, but apparently I don’t. Wandering if it was just a non metal preference, I went to the Pickett both and tried their plastic rims and they were all dogs. Not grippy and simply two wide for my comfort. I’m very excited about the piece and I look forward to seeing how it performs after the honeymoon wears off. Anyone else unexpectedly find lexan to be your go to?
harrisonreed

Re: Lexan FTW,

Post by harrisonreed »

Opposite for me. It's too grippy and for some reason after playing on it my teeth feel like they dry out and get sensitive. It's really weird. My lexan rim is reserved for playing out in the freezing cold.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Love my Lexan DE rims.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Nice to see you again, Buster. I love playing on Lexan too, but at this point I can go back and forth with silver and hardly even notice.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I bought silver, gold, lexan and a Parker stainless for an extended test. Lexan won for me. Temperature issues go away, lexan oddly stays cleaner, and it's just comfortable. Stainless gives a brighter sound, so sometimes I put that on smaller horns, but I use lexan when I have a choice. I haven't got a lexan rim for my tuba yet, but I will if they are made.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeeeep. I bought one for marching band and immediately replaced all my silver and gold rims as soon as I did. I even had someone make me custom Lexan rims for trumpet which are oddly hard to find (some makers just do Deleon or Lexan rim/cup combos). So everything from trumpet down to my tuba mouthpiece are Lexan.
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

I've been playing on Lexan since 1997. I was taking lessons at CIM from Jim DeSano and he had one, so I got a few to try from Doug and I've used Lexan rims ever since.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I can't say enough about how much I like Doug's lexan rims. To me the grippy feeling is just right and there is a softer feel as well. Every time I try plated mouthpieces it feels weird.
RobL

Post by RobL »

I got a DE Lexan rim because a lot of my performance situations involve picking up the horn after it has sat for an hour or so. I also love the comfort.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

I've always tended to play silver plated mouthpieces in the past as I found that gold wore off too easily and I didn't particularly need the soft slippery feel but recently bought a DE with a lexan rim and I'm very pleased with how it feels.

Neil.

Return to “Mouthpieces”