Good Mouthpiece Size for Doubling to Tenor from Bass

malcolmwood24

Good Mouthpiece Size for Doubling to Tenor from Bass

Post by malcolmwood24 »

Hi,

My main trombone is a bass trombone, Rath R9 and I use a Rath size 2 mouthpiece.

I have been asked to play tenor trombone with a wind band. I am looking to buy a large bore, valved, tenor trombone, probably a Rath. What would be a good mouth piece choice?

Kind regards

Malcolm
BGuttman

Re: Good Mouthpiece Size for Doubling to Tenor from Bass

Post by BGuttman »

Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

A Doug Elliott XT106N/F/F8 would be my recommendation if you already play a "2" sized piece on bass. Either that, or if you like a fatter rim an Alessi 1B.

The "2" size or 106 size seems to let you get away with almost anything, even alto.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

2nd Harrison's point. I use something slightly smaller, an XT104, but I find switching to be way easier between Doug's pieces than I have on anything else.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Work with Doug Elliott
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

You’re in England. Rath makes excellent instruments and mouthpieces. I’ve heard good things (mainly on this forum) about how the company is good at helping people fit into instruments. Chris Stearn here on TC (blast) has worked with Michael Rath on testing and development. He might have some good suggestions.

Otherwise: I’m primarily a bass player, too. I use different mouthpieces for tenor and bass. I think most doublers use different mouthpieces to get a characteristic sound on that instrument. Other people can play both with the same rim, but different cups and backbores. It’s really a matter of what works for you.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I'd second the suggestion to try out a couple of Rath mouthpieces, especially if you're there choosing your Rath trombone setup anyway. I have a couple and am very pleased with them.

One thing to note is that with one exception all the Rath large shank mouthpieces are in the rim range from 4 to 5 in Bach equivalent. The exception is equivalent to a 6 1/2. Those rim sizes probably work for many players, but not all. There are quite a few artist models with variations of rim and cup. There are also lightweight versions, which I've been meaning to try, especially the L4 B.B LW.

If you want more flexibiltiy and more or less independent rim and cup sizes (within reason), the Josef Klier (JK) mouthpieces offer this at a reasonable cost with good quality. Otherwise for a fully customizable setup, as others have said, Doug may be your man.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MrHCinDE wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:06 am If you want more flexibility and more or less independent rim and cup sizes (within reason), the Josef Klier (JK) mouthpieces offer this at a reasonable cost with good quality.
:good:

Otherwise for a fully customizable setup, as others have said, Doug [Elliott] may be your man.
:good:
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I would go with a tenor mouthpiece over a bass equivalent to what you use already. I know some people NEED to stay on the same rim on all trombones… I’ve never had a problem switching rims.

With that said, you play a smaller bass piece… If you like your Rath mouthpiece, I would stay with Rath on your tenor. My suggestion would be an L6 1/2, or an L5. Given that you play a smaller bass piece I would go with the 6 1/2… but it’s really whatever works best for you. Good luck!
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

The rim profile was the critical dimension for me. I liked the Bach 1 1/2G on bass. The Bach 11C seemed to have the same rim profile on a smaller diameter platform and seemed to work well on tenor trombones. Then I went back and forth between bass and tenor until I was comfortable playing either throughout the day. If I were playing on a Rath mouthpiece, I would follow the same process.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Mouthpieces”