Sasha Romero Mouthpieces

StephenBrown

Sasha Romero Mouthpieces

Post by StephenBrown »

Has anyone tried on of the new Sasha Romero mouthpieces? They look nice, especially the two tone...but do they play well? I'm a Griego Alessi person myself but I'm always curious...
Matt K
Verified

Re: Sasha Romero Mouthpieces

Post by Matt K »

The maker of those pieces is on the forum, LIBrassCo, and may chime in. I have one of his pieces waiting to be shipped to me, but it will be fairly different than that model!
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Well I suppose I'd be biased in regards to your question, but players that have purchased them had favorable things to say upon follow-up conversation. Not sure how many of them are on here or not.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Here's one form yesterday on the Romero 26.5mm:

Initial thoughts:

Rim is perfect. Reminds me of a Wick rim, but better. Legato and articulation are spot on. I usually find if it does one of those well, it doesn’t do the other well. It went from Bordogni to Arban’s with little effort. The articulation fixes something I’ve been struggling with on my Edwards. Excerpts like La Gaza have been problematic. Not with this piece.

That said, the one place that is more work is the altissimo register. Zarathustra \ Fantastique range. That said, I’m usually a two mouthpiece player. One for everyday stuff, one for the higher stuff.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

I would love to try one before I bought it...I guess that's the gimmick with mouthpieces, and why there are so many on the 2nd hand market.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

StephenBrown wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:18 pm I would love to try one before I bought it...I guess that's the gimmick with mouthpieces, and why there are so many on the 2nd hand market.
Shoot me a message, perhaps I have a dealer in your area. As far as the second hand market goes, if that's the litmus test for customer satisfaction theres been very few, if any of this model that I've seen make their way there.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

which size of small shank tenor trombone mouthpieces can i get, comparable to Bach mouthpieces?
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

heinzgries wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:53 am which size of small shank tenor trombone mouthpieces can i get, comparable to Bach mouthpieces?
All Four of the mouthpieces in Sasha's line can come with a small shank. The alto mouthpiece is similar to a 7c. The 25.5, 26, and 26.5mm loosely translate to a 3, 4, and 5g size, kinda sorta.
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

LIBrassCo wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:15 am
StephenBrown wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:18 pm I would love to try one before I bought it...I guess that's the gimmick with mouthpieces, and why there are so many on the 2nd hand market.
Shoot me a message, perhaps I have a dealer in your area. As far as the second hand market goes, if that's the litmus test for customer satisfaction theres been very few, if any of this model that I've seen make their way there.
I wouldn't say the 2nd hand market is the litmus test for success or failure, only that it is an indicator that the mouthpiece industry is making money off of the inability to try before you buy, so to speak. I was spoiled in Houston with Ben Osborne and Edwards house Texas... He had the entire Griego line I could try. Nothing like that here in Omaha, Nebraska.

It's not just you, it's everybody. I guess Doug Elliott is the only one offering a trial period... But he's the exception. If you have a dealer in Omaha I'd gladly go check them out :cool:
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

StephenBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 am
LIBrassCo wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:15 am

I wouldn't say the 2nd hand market is the litmus test for success or failure, only that it is an indicator that the mouthpiece industry is making money off of the inability to try before you buy, so to speak. I was spoiled in Houston with Ben Osborne and Edwards house Texas... He had the entire Griego line I could try. Nothing like that here in Omaha, Nebraska.

It's not just you, it's everybody. I guess Doug Elliott is the only one offering a trial period... But he's the exception. If you have a dealer in Omaha I'd gladly go check them out :cool:
Is there a Schmitt music there? They are a new dealer, working on their order now.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I would say the availability of pieces in the second hand market is primarily people who like to collect and then their significant others discover how many pieces of brass they have but I’m a little bias at the moment :lol:
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

Matt K wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 pm I would say the availability of pieces in the second hand market is primarily people who like to collect and then their significant others discover how many pieces of brass they have but I’m a little bias at the moment :lol:
:lol:
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

LIBrassCo wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:24 am
StephenBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 am

Is there a Schmitt music there? They are a new dealer, working on their order now.
There IS a Schmitt music here in Omaha :o
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

StephenBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:42 pm
LIBrassCo wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:24 am

Well there ya go. Let me know what size(s) your looking to try and I'll make sure it's in their order.
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

LIBrassCo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:07 am
StephenBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:42 pm

Well there ya go. Let me know what size(s) your looking to try and I'll make sure it's in their order.
It would for sure be the 26mm large shank. I'm trying to find a Griego Artist 5A and 5B to try, looks like your 26mm might be the closest match to that.

I don't see cup depth options, how deep is the cup on that 26mm?
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

StephenBrown wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:15 am
LIBrassCo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:07 am

It would for sure be the 26mm large shank. I'm trying to find a Griego Artist 5A and 5B to try, looks like your 26mm might be the closest match to that.

On the romero 26mm its like a 4gish cup. If you wanted that rim size but a custom depth that can easily be done as a custom order.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 pm I would say the availability of pieces in the second hand market is primarily people who like to collect and then their significant others discover how many pieces of brass they have but I’m a little bias at the moment :lol:
Matt 😂, did i cause this with the recent delivery?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

LIBrassCo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:09 am
:lol: If only!!! If you think the storage space I'm taking in your garage is bad, you should see what the trombone corner of my basement looks like. Also, I owe you a phone call!!! Need to figure out what you sent me. The pieces play really well, surprisingly efficient for how deep they are. If I were to play them blind, I would have guessed way shallower. But I suck on silver rims. Need more time to dedicate to that horn, I've spent every spare minute I have the last month digging up my yard for drainage :weep:
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Matt K wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:17 am
LIBrassCo wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:09 am

:lol: If only!!! If you think the storage space I'm taking in your garage is bad, you should see what the trombone corner of my basement looks like. Also, I owe you a phone call!!! Need to figure out what you sent me. The pieces play really well, surprisingly efficient for how deep they are. If I were to play them blind, I would have guessed way shallower. But I suck on silver rims. Need more time to dedicate to that horn, I've spent every spare minute I have the last month digging up my yard for drainage :weep:
You and me both, just got the horn back from being modified. Needed some tons of drainage rock, before the house floats. You should see the trench I had to dig by my lonesome.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

LIBrassCo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:22 am
StephenBrown wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:15 am

On the romero 26mm its like a 4gish cup. If you wanted that rim size but a custom depth that can easily be done as a custom order.
I'll check with Schmitt music and see what they have to play test. For now I better just check the standard 26mm before ordering a custom depth. Thanks for your help!
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

StephenBrown wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm

I'll check with Schmitt music and see what they have to play test. For now I better just check the standard 26mm before ordering a custom depth. Thanks for your help!
Of course! They will have a Romero 26mm there once I ship.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Just a follow up, Schmitt has their order, unsure if it's been put on display yet. I know they are in the middle of moving the location they will be on display at so it may be a little longer.
StephenBrown

Post by StephenBrown »

LIBrassCo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:51 am
Just a follow up, Schmitt has their order, unsure if it's been put on display yet. I know they are in the middle of moving the location they will be on display at so it may be a little longer.
Hey thanks! I'll go check them out!
Druidman

Post by Druidman »

Looks like Keith from the Schmitt music trombone shop did a video review of the Romero 25.5 piece. IMHO, he sounds much better on it than his Bach 5G

Return to “Mouthpieces”