Mouthpiece recommendations

ChuckTbone

Mouthpiece recommendations

Post by ChuckTbone »

Could anyone recommend the denis wick 1AL? I currently only have ever used the Remington (unnamed) mouthpiece that came with my Conn 88h. I have been playing for 6 years and I’m looking for a deeper mouthpiece that will help with tone and my lack of air that I push through.
Burgerbob

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations

Post by Burgerbob »

Not for an 88H, no. If you have a Remington, your horn will need a Remington shank mouthpiece as well, which limits options. But stick to tenor mouthpieces (the 1AL is a bass mouthpiece).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Wick 1AL is a bass trombone mouthpiece. The Remington is around a 5G (5BL) size. You could try a more open mouthpiece like the Wick 5AL. A larger tenor sized mouthpiece would be a Bach 4G or Wick 4nL. If cost is an issue, try a Faxx 4G. It's like a Bach 4G but less expensive.

The Wick has an unusual rim shape. You may like it (I do) or you may hate it. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground here.

If you can afford it, a quick lesson with Doug Elliott will help you find the best mouthpiece. He doesn't necessarily hawk his own mouthpieces unless there is really a unique need, but if you can afford a Doug Elliott setup they are excellent mouthpieces.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

The Wick 1AL is traditionally a bass trombone mouthpiece, and will much much larger than your Remington. If you like the feel of the Denis Wick mouthpiece rims, you might try the 5AL. Alternatively, assuming your 88H has the Remington-taper leadpipe, you might look for a Schilke 51 with the longer shank, which would fit that taper better than the Wick might.

Edit: Aidan and Bruce beat me to the point…
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Trombone players, at least people on tenor, seem to be playing mouthpieces that are already too deep.

Unless you are going for a bass trombone sound, play a shallower tenor piece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”