Tuba Player needs Mouthpiece suggestions for Trombone

Searsjerry5319

Tuba Player needs Mouthpiece suggestions for Trombone

Post by Searsjerry5319 »

I needed some help and information regarding type of mouthpieces for my situation. I'm a former tuba player which I have been most of my life. I started out on the trombone in Jr. High through high school and college. I later went to euphonium and then tuba. I sold my tuba awhile back being it was getting too hard to manage at my age. I recently picked up an Olds trombone with the F attachment that was in remarkably good condition for the age and on a very small budget. I know enough to stay away from Chinese made instruments. I realize that this isn't a top notch horn but it's a decent instrument for what I need. My question is, it's a huge transition going from a tuba mouthpiece to a trombone mouthpiece for a tenor trombone with a small shank. I currently have a Bach 5GS and a Benge 12C. What's the best mouthpiece for range being I'm used to something much bigger? I would appreciate any feedback.
BGuttman

Re: Tuba Player needs Mouthpiece suggestions for Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

You can probably get used to nearly anything, but I'd guess a big rim will feel better.

Of the two you have the Bach 5GS will probably feel best, but you may still want something bigger.

I had a 2 piece Warburton and put a small shank on a 3B cup (about the size of a Bach 1 1/4 G). That was a bit extreme.

I would think that a Bach 4 or Schilke 52 might be acceptable and easier to adapt to.

If you can afford it, Doug Elliott could set you up with a rim and cup that might work for your horn, which I assume is the Ambassador with F. I would think that a SB setup with a 108 rim, an E or F cup, and an appropriate 3 shank would work well for you (but Doug's the expert, not me).

Note that I split your post off of the other thread so it will get better exposure.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Of the two mouthpieces that you mentioned, the 5GS is the way to go. Coming from someone who doubles on all low brass, going from tuba to the small shank trombone you have to approach it as a different instrument. Don’t think of it as “wow, this sure is small compared to my tuba mouthpiece.” Before you go spend a bunch of money for a small shank bass trombone mouthpiece, give the 5GS a good test run. IF it just doesn’t work for you, contact Doug Elliott… he’ll be able to set you up.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If you're interested, my first guess at a combination you'd be comfortable on would be my XT series 104 rim, E cup, and E3* shank for that Olds.

In Bach terms (but not something they've ever made) it would about a 3GS.

If I had that horn, it's exactly what I would use. I'm assuming it's a medium-ish dual bore horn. ?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

My 2 cents worth is do not try to compare trombone and tuba mouthpieces, just experiment with the mouthpieces you have and see if you get comfortable with one. On a weekly basis I play at a minimum a trumpet and trombone in the church band, often throw in a euphonium or French horn, some days all 4 get used in the same service. I just have a mouthpiece I like for each instrument. My tuba only comes out about once a year, biggest problem I have is I have to adjust to reading the low notes!
Searsjerry5319

Post by Searsjerry5319 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:05 pm If you're interested, my first guess at a combination you'd be comfortable on would be my XT series 104 rim, E cup, and E3* shank for that Olds.

In Bach terms (but not something they've ever made) it would about a 3GS.

If I had that horn, it's exactly what I would use. I'm assuming it's a medium-ish dual bore horn. ?
Thank you so much. Yes it's an Olds Ambassador with F attachment and dual bore. I picked it up from Reverb for $325.00 with hardly any noticeable dings. The bell is 8 1/2" raw brass being the lacquer is completely gone. The slide is smooth as silk and I polished up the bell so it looks and plays well for as old as it is assuming that they stopped making them in the late 70s? I had a Super Olds Ambassador bass trombone that I sold because I didn't like the setup with the tuning in the slide. I was quite comfortable with that horn but it was hard to play in tune with a piano with intonation issues. I had a huge mouthpiece for the horn. Bass trombones and tubas are way out of my budget unless I buy Chinese which I would rather not play at all if that was my only option.
Searsjerry5319

Post by Searsjerry5319 »

Thank you everyone for your input. I have some trombone players that I have looked up to for years. One of my favorite is Scott Hartman, great musician. Another is Christian Lundberg. It takes so much dedication and hard work to reach to the quality of these players. I follow Canadian Brass and some other quintets and ensembles. I love brass.

Return to “Mouthpieces”