Shires Marshall Gilkes Piece

dukesboneman

Re: Shires Marshall Gilkes Piece

Post by dukesboneman »

Bleek,
"Today is a Neil Diamond Hot August Night show on lead, pretty certain it won’t cut through on that."
I would say play what is the most comfortable and gives you the best sound and control.
In your Neil Diamond setting, I`m assuming that you`ll be miked. Let the Mic do the volume work, so you can play trombone part. It took me a while to learn how to "PLay the Mic"
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

The more I play the Gilkes piece the more I discover how comfortable it is and how easy to get around it is.
It's true a bit of range and sound in the upper register is lost at first but it gets better and better the more you learn how to play it.
I feel less fatigued after heavy blowing than on 7C sized pieces even though I have custom 6.5 rims on them.
I feel I make less adjustments to my embouchure through the ranges on the MG. Thus less effort for the required results.
Gonna keep going, I'm not so busy at the moment so have time to adjust without confusing myself switching back and forth!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

50+ posts on a new mpc. That’s impressive.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach5G wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:29 am 50+ posts on a new mpc. That’s impressive.
Definitely! I was not expecting such a divisive topic. I also wonder who is designing the mouthpieces with Shires and their artists. Pickett, or someone else? Also wondering how all of this is going to fit in with and/or change as Laskey mouthpieces gets off the ground.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Marshall Gilkes is a popular guy if you haven't already heard :biggrin:

Pickett makes the mouthpieces for Shires.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Further to this I got hold of a Shires 11c and 6 1/2ALS in the hope of finding a 'lead' option to the Gilkes signature mouthpiece. To my face neither worked. The closest in terms of rim was the 11c but I didn't like the playing characteristics of it, the rim of the 6 1/2ALS was quite different.

At this stage I will just stick with my AR Resonance for poppy/lead stuff and the Gilkes mouthpiece for everything else. And try and start a petition with Shires for a Gilkes commercial/lead option :)
www.bengurton.com

Shires Marshall Gilkes
Shires TW25LW/TW47 Trubore 7YLW
Shires Q36YR
XO 1632
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I got my MG Shires signature mouthpiece this week and tryed it with a band first time today. To me this is a very good match to my Lars Gerdt Bb/G 500 tenor, a better fit than the Nils Landgren on that horn, on my Yamaha 891Z it is just the opposite. I plan to use the MG for classical use with my Bb/G horn. I have also ordered a Conn 32H leadpipe and a lightweight slide for the Lars Gerdt Bb/G. I had a chance to try all those parts today and really liked it

/Tom
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I had a Shires 6.5AL that I had threaded awhile ago. Ended up using as my main piece for a little while until my Elliott XT E / E4* supplanted it. I recently acquired the new "D+" cup and D+3 shank and it is unbelievable. All the depth of the slightly deeper 6.5 cup, but way easier to play for me. If you want an 11C ish rim on something that is more like a commercial 6.5AL, I suspect you could do quite well on something like an ST97/D+/D+3. Works great on a 525/547 8" bell setup and my 500/525 8" bell setup. Still in honeymoon phase fwiw.
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

So much controversy over mpcs and choice of horn. I wonder if I should get a jet tone....and pair it with a P-Bone.
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Trombonjon wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:08 am So much controversy over mpcs and choice of horn. I wonder if I should get a jet tone....and pair it with a P-Bone.
If it suits you well then why not?
The beauty of choice, and we have plenty...... :idea:
diminishedSeventh

Post by diminishedSeventh »

Fidbone wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:50 am ...
I feel less fatigued after heavy blowing than on 7C sized pieces even though I have custom 6.5 rims on them.
I feel I make less adjustments to my embouchure through the ranges on the MG. Thus less effort for the required results.
Having spent time with this mouthpiece for the better part of a month, I feel like I've been having the opposite experience regarding fatigue (this thing tires me out much quicker than my Rath S11MN did). However, I too find that I also barely need to adjust my embouchure aside from my pedal range--speaking of which this mouthpiece in conjunction with my .508 trombone gives me a MASSIVE sound on pedals. I almost feel like the combination allows me to maintain a large-bore-ish sound while getting the flexibility of a small horn.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve been listening to Marshall for a long time and for my ears, his sound s darker and thicker since moving to Shires.
I find his sound much more appealing now than when he played Edwards. Just my opinion.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

I'm halfway through show #312 and this thread is the only thing getting me to my holiday layoff.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

dukesboneman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:07 pm I`ve been listening to Marshall for a long time and for my ears, his sound s darker and thicker since moving to Shires.
I find his sound much more appealing now than when he played Edwards. Just my opinion.
The MG mouthpiece does this to your sound. Since I got the Conn 32H leadpipe I ordered from Brassark my .500 Bb/G horn is a dream The MG mouthpiece makes the low register easy and I haven't lost any of my high notes. To me it is a classical horn with this mouthpiece. I can use it instead of my Bach 36BO in many contexts.

/Tom

Return to “Mouthpieces”