Mouthpiece for a pBone

RedpBone

Mouthpiece for a pBone

Post by RedpBone »

As my handle states I have a red pBone. I want to get a real mouthpiece for it so I went to my local music store. They had two generic ones, a 12C and a 6.5AL. Any tips on which would be a better choice for me?

Thanks.
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece for a pBone

Post by BGuttman »

I think you need to try both and see what works better. I found on my Cool Winds (large bore) a King 29 worked best. Pick up a few on the Classifieds for cheap so you can experiment without having to go into hock.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

Thanks Bruce, good advice. The interesting thing is that they were only about $40 each so it's not a huge investment. So maybe I can try them both.

Another question. What is the difference between a 12c and 6.5 AL?
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Several things: 6.5 AL has a larger
* inner rim diameter
* outer rim diameter
* cup depth
* backbore diameter

I don't _hate_ my 12c pieces exactly, but now that I have an adult-sized mouth, it's more of a high-range/small horn piece. But you're just starting out: try 'em both, then stick with the one that makes you happier when you play it.

If you're short on cash, shoot me a PM and you can have a couple of mine: I buy horns from time to time, and never need the mouthpiece.

John
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

John,

Thank you so much for the info and the offer. That is extremely kind of you. I should be OK.

All the best,

Paul
RedpBone

Post by RedpBone »

I went with the 12c. I haven't haven't had a chance to try it yet but I am excited to.

Return to “Mouthpieces”