AR Resonance Mouthpiece

Posaunus

AR Resonance Mouthpiece

Post by Posaunus »

I just wanted to share a new (for me) mouthpiece experience.

I recently acquired (from a TromboneChat member – thanks Jon!) a used AR Resonance mouthpiece with a water buffalo horn (!) cup and rim. This particular one (small-shank) is labeled 25.10 V+ 60. That means that the Rim I.D. is 25.1 mm; the Cup is rather V-shaped, and the Throat is 6.0 mm diameter. In other words, about the size of a Bach 6¾C, a Schilke 47C4, a Yamaha Nils Landgren, or perhaps a Conn 3 – but different from all of them.

The buffalo horn feels good on my lips, and the rather flattened rim is very comfortable; it’s an easy blow. After playing it for a few hours (on a small 0.500" bore trombone), I find that I really like this mouthpiece. The sound is pleasant – warm, light and lively, a little less edgy than a brass mouthpiece. I’m afraid to fall in love because of the price (~$235)! :horror: I’m just getting used to Doug Elliott’s pieces; I don’t need another expensive sideline! [But I’m keeping this one.]

These mouthpieces are apparently available in the U.S.A. from another TromboneChat member, Luke Malewicz:
https://www.chicagojazztrombone.com/arr ... outhpieces

Anyone else have experience with these mouthpieces?
Arvopart17

Re: AR Resonance Mouthpiece

Post by Arvopart17 »

Glad you like it! I found the Buffalo Horn material to be really stellar, it was light and felt great on the face - it didn’t slip around as much as metal does but felt more solid than plastic. It came in handy for cold Fall days playing outside here in New England.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

There’s a couple of threads that go into these mouthpieces in detail with Luke and Antonio (the maker of AR) chipping in too to explain the different specs.

I had a 24.8, 25.1 in standard cup and a 25.4 in a V+ (Slightly deeper) with a 43 and 46 shank. The played very easily and were different than anything I’d tried, but ultimately I felt the shallower cups didn’t have the same body or core of sound than a good Bach style piece, and the V+ wasn’t quite snappy enough for lead playing, although had some other strong similarities to my MV6.5a.

The 25.1 with 46 shank was a bit of a beast though, that blew loud and open!

I also prefer other rim contours than the fairly flat rim.

I don’t know of many people playing the large tenor and bass pieces, and heard some pretty damming feedback about the initial bass pieces when they came out.
sstelmack

Post by sstelmack »

I own a buffalo horn MS 72 with GR1 backbore. At first, I really liked it. It does feel good on the face. The issue I am having with it is, for some songs that I play I can get a really good tone out of it. For others, no matter what I try, it just sounds dead. It most likely is something I am doing wrong, but I can get my other mouthpieces to sound good on those songs. That being said I really do want to try some more from them, I just have to fit it into the budget someday.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Tl;dr: I love my AR mouthpiece. Great sound and feel. Thin metal on shank

I’ve been an AR Resonance player for a few years now. I play on a regular 25.10 (60 - 43 (M(?)) - 10.5 AK back bore). For me it’s the best piece I’ve ever played. Now granted I haven’t had the luxury to play every mouthpiece brand ever but I have played a lot because I’m obsessed with trying everything i can.

I’ve always battled with a 6.5 sized mouthpiece and even to this day after 15 years of playing professionally I just can’t get it to work for me. My freshman year in college, my professor hipped me to a Bach 7c and for a long time (maybe 10 years) I played on that and then a Hammond 14S. Those were both wonderful mouthpieces too but the size didn’t allow me to play all parts of horn like I wanted to.

I didn’t even know about the 6 3/4C sized mouthpiece until I picked up the AR 25.10. That is definitely the perfect size for me and the style of playing I do. The AR produces a sound unlike any other. It’s really full. When I go back to a Bach mouthpiece my sound is thinner. The only other mouthpiece brands I’ve encountered this “full” sound on are Greg Black and Monettes. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to play Doug Elliott’s pieces, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were this great too.

I have some issues with our thin the back bore metal is, but that’s my only complaint. They split and dent easily and it’s hard to repair them. And shelling out more money for a mouthpiece that is $250-300 isn’t what you want to do when that happens. But I’ve had my piece for ~4 years now and absolutely love it. Just have to be very careful with how you put it in the horn and taking it in and out of the case.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
eheveronsmith

Post by eheveronsmith »

I just got an AR Resonance this past March, right before going on a month long tour with Postmodern Jukebox. It's a 2510 60 in bronze, with a 60s backbore. I absolutely love this piece. I was playing a Greg Black NY Legend 6m (around the size of a 12c), and this is light years beyond the Greg Black piece. I recognize that it was a pretty small one, and so I'm happier with a piece closer to a 7c or so. But it's remarkable how open it is, how clear, and how versatile. I can really go from mellow and quiet to practically blasting, and it still maintains clarity and precision. It slots remarkably well, in a way that other pieces don't, especially when you start to push them. I'm super happy with it. Definitely not stoked about the price, but hey, it means I'm kind of done with my mouthpiece quest... (for now...).

I wonder if anybody could partner up with Antonio and set up manufacturing in America to cut down on some of the customs/international costs...

Return to “Mouthpieces”