New Griego Markey Mouthpieces

ZacharyThornton

New Griego Markey Mouthpieces

Post by ZacharyThornton »

So new mouthpiece line out that is at TMEA from Griego for Jim Markey. Models are the 85, 90, 93, and 95. I am picking up a 85! Loving it and can’t wait to get back to my gigs to put it through through the paces.
tbonesullivan

Re: New Griego Markey Mouthpieces

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh wow! The model numbers seem reminiscent of those used on Laskey Bass Trombone mouthpieces. Can't wait to hear more about them!
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GBone

Post by GBone »

George Stevens - Bass Trombonist and Low Brass Doubler

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter." - Mark Twain

"those turds think they can hear the grass grow"
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

I'm very excited to learn more about these
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Post a picture for the rest of us!
ZacharyThornton

I bought a 85 and thinking about a 90… hard to real test things here. The 85 blows my two Laskeys out of the water.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Are they Just using the sizedenomination of Laskey or do they have something in common also?
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Looks like they’re using their own naming system, just something similar to Laskey, they’re available right now on VirtuosityBoston’s site
https://www.virtuosityboston.com/griego ... piece.html
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The Laskey method was to drop the “2”. So, 25.4 mm (1”) interior dimension became the “54”. 28.5 mm (1.12”) became the “85”). The 29.0 (1.14”) is the 90.

Compare, perhaps, with Greg Blacks which are to me very difficult to sort out.

So many mouthpieces these days. So little time (and money).
Elow

Post by Elow »

I always have wanted a slightly larger 85... that 87 sounds tempting. I just ordered a greg black 1gs though and probably shouldnt get another mouthpiece.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:20 pm The Laskey method was to drop the “2”. So, 25.4 mm (1”) interior dimension became the “54”. 28.5 mm (1.12”) became the “85”). The 29.0 (1.14”) is the 90.

So many mouthpieces these days. So little time (and money).
Hence why I think it might be spiritual relation, the inner diameter looks to be .2 mm smaller that the number, ie the 85 is 28.3, not 28.5 and I will agree, much better system than GB, Doug has the easiest to understand imo
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Idk if it applies to their bass pieces, but to me the rim shape on the Laskey tenor pieces makes them feel a tiny bit smaller than they are. Maybe these are made with a more ‘normal’ rim profile but a tad smaller to feel the same as the corresponding Laskey?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

On the virtuosity website for these mouthpieces, the spec chart shows 2 measurements I have never seen before.

What is "OAL" and "engagement"??

(Ha. The site says engagment, which I assume is not a gagging factor!)

https://www.virtuosityboston.com/griego ... d=77225205

:idk:
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

PhilTrombone wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:13 am On the virtuosity website for these mouthpieces, the spec chart shows 2 measurements I have never seen before.

What is "OAL" and "engagement"??

:idk:
I’m guessing the OAL is “overall average length” and engagement according to this blog post by Christian is how far the mouthpiece goes into the leadpipe

https://griegomouthpieces.com/blog/2019 ... ngagement/
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

"I’m guessing the OAL is “overall average length” and engagement according to this blog post by Christian is how far the mouthpiece goes into the leadpipe

https://griegomouthpieces.com/blog/2019 ... ngagement/"

Thanks!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh boy, I wonder if we'll see other "engagement" specs start popping up, which of course depend on the leadpipe. Next up, distance of throat from end of shank...

Not really sure I see a need for "Over All Length" or "engagement" on a mouthpiece. They can't tell you how well it'll work for you or your horn, and now people can obsess over them.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Not really sure I see a need for "Over All Length" or "engagement" on a mouthpiece. They can't tell you how well it'll work for you or your horn, and now people can obsess over them.
Actually, it is nice to at least learn a name for how deep a mouthpiece sits in the receiver. Now when I complain about a bad fit in this regard, I can use a proper term for the situation.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Marcinkiewicz provided the overall length measurement for ages. Never of much use to me.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Any reports? Anybody try one?
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
ZacharyThornton

Been playing the 85 since TMEA. Haven’t wanted to play anything else. Way better than my two Laskey 85s. Easier to play by miles.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:45 am Been playing the 85 since TMEA. Haven’t wanted to play anything else. Way better than my two Laskey 85s. Easier to play by miles.
Spent any time on a GP? If yes, how’s it compare?
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

ZacharyThornton

Yeah I played a GP before the change. The 85 is a smidge bigger overall, lighter blank, but with a “darker” sound. I don’t like that word but I don’t know what else to call it.
Also the rim on the GP is pretty flat, the Markey series of mouthpieces are not. They aren’t razor thin like Schilkes also though.
Langheck

Post by Langheck »

So it sounds like these aren't really that similar to Laskeys, if they have a rounded rim and much narrower throats.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 am Yeah I played a GP before the change. The 85 is a smidge bigger overall, lighter blank, but with a “darker” sound. I don’t like that word but I don’t know what else to call it.
Also the rim on the GP is pretty flat, the Markey series of mouthpieces are not. They aren’t razor thin like Schilkes also though.
Thanks!!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Kdanielsen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:42 am Any reports? Anybody try one?
I’ve been playing an 87 and someone in my studio has a 90, it’s like a Laskey or GP but better. Coming from an 85MD to GP it’s a much richer and more active sound
ZacharyThornton

I just checked and the mouthpieces are live on the Griego site:
https://www.griegomouthpieces.com/products/markey.php
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Anyone know which Model James Markey himself plays?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Tbarh wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:16 pm Anyone know which Model James Markey himself plays?
87, I think?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:25 pm
Tbarh wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:16 pm Anyone know which Model James Markey himself plays?
87, I think?
Thanks.. 😉👍
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I just ordered an 85 myself. Very excited.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I ordered an 87 yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Used my new 85 at work today. Pretty awesome piece. Even, easy to deal with, full dynamic range, nice rim shape (especially considering GP series or Laskeys). Very excited to use it more.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 pm Used my new 85 at work today. Pretty awesome piece. Even, easy to deal with, full dynamic range, nice rim shape (especially considering GP series or Laskeys). Very excited to use it more.
Size wise, is the rim a direct competitor to a Laskey 85MD and other 1.25 sized pieces?

Andrew
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:40 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 pm Used my new 85 at work today. Pretty awesome piece. Even, easy to deal with, full dynamic range, nice rim shape (especially considering GP series or Laskeys). Very excited to use it more.
Size wise, is the rim a direct competitor to a Laskey 85MD and other 1.25 sized pieces?

Andrew
Yes.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 am Yeah I played a GP before the change. The 85 is a smidge bigger overall, lighter blank, but with a “darker” sound. I don’t like that word but I don’t know what else to call it.
Reading the Griego website, isn't the Markey rim supposed to be based on the GP rim? The 85 should also be smaller than the GP, which is the same cup diameter as the 87.

I am definitely liking what I'm hearing though. I may have to pick one up, though the GP is also tempting.
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Just picked up a 95. Looking forward to comparing it to my other 29.3mm +/- pieces.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I got my 87 today. Played it about an hour and first impressions are favorable. Very easy to play, great articulations, even low to high. More later.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

In terms of feel, how do the Markey and GP models compare to Bach or Schilke, size-wise? I know listed spec measurements don’t always translate well between makers, that’s why I asked about feel. Perhaps there’s a better way to ask the question.

Thanks, for any info!

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:09 pm
Reading the Griego website, isn't the Markey rim supposed to be based on the GP rim? The 85 should also be smaller than the GP, which is the same cup diameter as the 87.

I am definitely liking what I'm hearing though. I may have to pick one up, though the GP is also tempting.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

pompatus wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:21 pm In terms of feel, how do the Markey and GP models compare to Bach or Schilke, size-wise? I know listed spec measurements don’t always translate well between makers, that’s why I asked about feel. Perhaps there’s a better way to ask the question.

Thanks, for any info!

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:09 pm Reading the Griego website, isn't the Markey rim supposed to be based on the GP rim? The 85 should also be smaller than the GP, which is the same cup diameter as the 87.

When in doubt, you can always check published specs against published specs.

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/trombone.cfm

The 85 is 1 1/4 size, 90 is 29mm or modern 1G size, 93 is 29.3 or... Laskey 93D size, and the 95 is strangely enough 95 sized.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

According to Griego, James Markey himself are changing between the different sizes, but uses the 90 in his latest Youtube recording of the Kevin Day piece.. Beautiful, centered sound with Great "definition" to it..
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:56 amWhen in doubt, you can always check published specs against published specs.

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/trombone.cfm

The 85 is 1 1/4 size, 90 is 29mm or modern 1G size, 93 is 29.3 or... Laskey 93D size, and the 95 is strangely enough 95 sized.
I guess I'm getting confused by diameter numbers, and the "published" vs "feel" thing. A Bach 1 1/4G is supposed to be 27.5mm in diameter. The Laskey 85MD is a 1 1/4G sized piece, but is actually a bit larger at 28.5mm. The Hammond 20BL is also slightly larger at 28.58mm, but Hammond says it compares best with the 1 1/4G.

So, I guess the 87 is maybe the "old" 1G Size?
ZacharyThornton

I think this has been covered before, but where do you measure for rim diameter? From the inner rim? Well then the bite of the rim will effect that measurement. The outer rim? Well then the width of the rim throws off that measurement. From the high point of the rim makes the most sense because that is where you “feel” the rim the most. But what do you do with really flat rims? Also you need specialized tools and the measurements would need to get to the ten thousandths to be really accurate.
There is no science here, you just have to try the mouthpiece and if it doesn’t work, sell it and try another. They hold their value pretty well and you can just be out a few bucks per. Or try at a show but I am still not comfortable to do that tbh.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

After listening to a recording of me at work... Projection! Wow. Lots of it.
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

BassBoneFL wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:09 pm Just picked up a 95. Looking forward to comparing it to my other 29.3mm +/- pieces.
FWIW, I've had a chance to put in a few hours on it and do some back and forth between some similar size pieces I have on hand. (all done on a Shires with db and axials)

In general, it is VERY responsive with a nice, clear core and center. Response and immediacy of sound are outstanding. Sound is very even top to bottom, loud to soft. Generally, a nice round sound that leans to the "darker" side.

Response - similar to Laskey, perhaps not as responsive but close
Evenness of sound thru ranges - similar to Hammond and Ultimate Brass
Depth of sound - very close to Hammond and Ultimate Brass, not quite as much as Greg Black
Center and core - very Laskey-like in ease of centering but with weight of center close to Black or Ultimate Brass
Ease of articulation - among the best I've played if not the best
Rim feel - not as sharp as Laskey or GP7, similar to Ultimate Brass, flatter/sharper than Black and Hammond

Other pieces used in comparison - Hammond 22BXL, Laskey 93D, Griego GP7, Greg Black 1/2G .312/#2, Ultimate Brass G3 with 29.3mm rim

As always, your results may vary
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Just played the 87 at a rehearsal with my Edwards 502. Really quite nice. Very clear articulation. Centers quickly and easily. High range and low range are both easier than my GP. Nice color to the sound (clear and bright, but I could fatten it up down low). Overall a keeper for this tenor trombonist.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I spent a couple hours today comparing my new 87 to my GB 1 1/4GS and decided to stick with the GB. The 87 is a very nice mouthpiece but the GB fits me better. Nothing bad to say about the 87 at all.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:56 am I think this has been covered before, but where do you measure for rim diameter? From the inner rim? Well then the bite of the rim will effect that measurement. The outer rim? Well then the width of the rim throws off that measurement. From the high point of the rim makes the most sense because that is where you “feel” the rim the most. But what do you do with really flat rims? Also you need specialized tools and the measurements would need to get to the ten thousandths to be really accurate.

There is no science here, you just have to try the mouthpiece and if it doesn’t work, sell it and try another. They hold their value pretty well and you can just be out a few bucks per. Or try at a show but I am still not comfortable to do that tbh.
Definitely covered before, and how the rim diameter is not the absolute determination of whether a MPC will work for you. The rim profile also has a huge impact on that, and there are many mouthpieces that "feel bigger" than the listed specs, depending on where it is measured.

I think I'll fire off an email to Griego to see what they think would work better, base don the MPCS I already use.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Tiny taste of the 85 at work. Really enjoying this piece.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xmW-nOqPQ4c?feature=share
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

He states in the video he put out which 2 he plays. I believe he said 87 and 90.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

A demo by the man himself. I like the sound of the 85 and 87 a lot more than the rest!!

Return to “Mouthpieces”