Laskey 5G

Francesco

Laskey 5G

Post by Francesco »

Hello all,

I bought a Laskey 5G at the Milano music store a few months ago, but unfortunately I didn't get any specs from the seller.
I have been trying it and I believe that is quite similar to a Bach 5G but a bit smaller.
Does anyone have any experience with this Laskey?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GabrielRice

Re: Laskey 5G

Post by GabrielRice »

Well that's weird. It's used, yes?

Laskey did not use this numbering system that I knew of, so my guess would be that it's from the early days of his company. Probably the predecessor of his 57MD, which was like a Bach 5G but with different contours and slightly smaller than many Bach 5Gs.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Scott took the metric interior rim dimension, eg. 2.54 cm and dropped the “2”, giving you a Laskey 54 etc.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:48 pm Scott took the metric interior rim dimension, eg. 2.54 cm and dropped the “2”, giving you a Laskey 54 etc.
well, yes. But this isn't one of those! I wonder if it was just a one-off.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

GabrielRice wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:12 pm
Yes, it is!
Well, here is a youtube link that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MECztDgrcw

Apparently they had a last batch which were the remaining stock from Laskey Company in 2018.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I stick by my guess that it was a prototype from early in Scott's production.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I don't know if he made custom mouthpieces for some clients, but it could be a copy of a particular favorite mouthpiece made for a trombonist.

Jim Scott
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 pm I don't know if he made custom mouthpieces for some clients, but it could be a copy of a particular favorite mouthpiece made for a trombonist.

Jim Scott
I know that when Scott was at Schilke he used to make a copy of John Kitzman's 5G.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

GabrielRice wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 pm I stick by my guess that it was a prototype from early in Scott's production.
I'm not selling it at the moment, but in case that it was a prototype from early in Scott's production, how much does it cost?
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I also bought a bunch of Laskey’s from Milano back in August of last year. Picked up a 5G as well, but haven’t really used it yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
CheeseTray

Post by CheeseTray »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:57 am
CalgaryTbone wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 pm I don't know if he made custom mouthpieces for some clients, but it could be a copy of a particular favorite mouthpiece made for a trombonist.

Jim Scott
I know that when Scott was at Schilke he used to make a copy of John Kitzman's 5G.
I play a custom that Scott made for me when we was with Schilke. Back then, he had a couple of 'golden' 5Gs that he used to copy as a jumping-off point for making mouthpieces for players that liked mouthpieces in that size range.

Return to “Mouthpieces”