Bach 5g substitute

zentrombonist

Bach 5g substitute

Post by zentrombonist »

Hello forum, any recommendations/thoughts on what would rival the Bach 5g?
PhilTrombone

Re: Bach 5g substitute

Post by PhilTrombone »

Dennis Wick 5AL, Warburton 8 series..

You can DL the WIck comparison chart here:
https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/up ... -Chart.pdf

Surely there are plenty of other manufacturers. These are 2 brands I happen to prefer.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Pretty much any of the "copies" in that range are good. Greg Black, Dennis Wick, Shires, Brass Ark, Pickett... there are probably at least... 10-15 "copies" in that size. Doug Elliott also has pieces around that size (including a copy of the 5G rim) such as an XT101, G, G8. Benefit to Doug's system is you can mix parts around like trying on a pair of glasses without buying a complete piece for some relatively minor difference.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Here is Dave Werden's list of mouthpieces with rims in the same general ballpark. Quite a few options to choose from, and there are some missing from the list too.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

This may also help - http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/s ... chart.html - and is more reliable than trusting published specs, which are measured to varying standards (...or might be short-form science fiction)
Dsohunter

Post by Dsohunter »

The Hammond 12ML is a very nice substitute.
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Griego Alessi 7d is a Bach 5g substitute, i have one for sale, brand new , large bore €110 + shipping from Romania
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Schilke 51
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Faxx 5G
ajeasley

Post by ajeasley »

Shires makes a 5G that is the pack in for their horns (at least that's how I got mine). They sit roughly in between the price points of your mass market (Bach, Wick, Schilke) and more boutique options (Griego, Greg Black, Doug Elliott) at about $135 new from Dillon Music. With that said, it seems like there's quite a few on the used market from players who buy a Shires and don't want the mouthpiece. Consequently, you can usually pick one up in good condition for not a ton of cash.

Return to “Mouthpieces”