GRIEGO ALESSI

TheFilthOfFrank

GRIEGO ALESSI

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

What is the general opinion on the size 5? I was looking for an upgrade to it. I'm currently on a bach 5g if that helps.
Last edited by TheFilthOfFrank on Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chromebone

Re: GRIEGO ALESSI

Post by chromebone »

The G-A 7 series corresponds with the Bach 5g. It’s got a flatter rim, more depth options and a larger throat. It’s a good mouthpiece, but the only way to know if it works for you is to try one. The 7C is a little shallower than a standard 5g, the 7D is about equivalent as far as depth.
TheFilthOfFrank

If I have trouble in the spacing above the high G I should go for a lower series right? The series 5 is more like a bach 4g I think.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note that there are different sizes labeled "5". Bach calls a 1.01" (27 mm) ID rim a 5 size. Same as a Doug Elliott 101, Schilke 51, or a Wick 5 (A or B). A Warburton 5 is much larger. A Greg Black is somewhat larger.

If you are having trouble with higher notes, you need to practice more. But a smaller mouthpiece also can help if the problem is embouchure related. From a Bach 5 sized mouthpiece you could try the 6.5 AL (which is a very good general purpose mouthpiece) or its equivalents (Schilke 50, Wick 6).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The Alessi series from Griego and Greg Black (now called New York series) do not correspond to Bach sizes. The standard series from both of those makers is in roughly the same size as Bach mouthpiece numbers, with different rim shapes and more variety of cup depths, so both of them offer a "5" series of mouthpieces that are similar to Bach sizes - just not the Alessi (NY) series. The #7 rims in the Griego Alessi series are similar to the Bach 5 rim. You are right that the #5 series in the Griego and Black Alessi series is closer to the Bach 4 rim.

I'm not sure how long you've been playing, and if you have a teacher, but if you're having trouble playing above a "G", I would suggest that you should try to fix that before you go out and buy an expensive mouthpiece. I doubt that the mouthpiece will fix that for you. Lots of work with slow slurs starting in the low and middle range - gradually working into the upper range will help a lot with high range. Scale practice can also augment that - try doing 2 octave scales, and when you can't quite make 2 octaves go as high as you can. Make sure that you play in your low range, and take some rest when you're doing high range practice. If you have a teacher, discuss all of this with him/her, and get them to help you find a new mouthpiece when it seems like it's time to make a switch. Generally, a mouthpiece switch is more about adjusting your sound - not your range. Good luck!

Jim Scott
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

TheFilthOfFrank wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 pm If I have trouble in the spacing above the high G I should go for a lower series right? The series 5 is more like a bach 4g I think.
No. Don't equate rim diameter with range. The cup letters are better for that.

You need to have the right rim first, then you can choose a cup for the kind of playing you do. For example, the A cup helps in the upper register for extended performances. This is a solution for the last 5% though, not the first 95%.
TheFilthOfFrank

I've played on a 5g for a long time so a 7 would be better then.
yhc

Post by yhc »

Hello.
it will be fine to use a Greek Alessi 1C, 1D or 1D mouthpiece for the bass trombone.
thanks for your replies
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

yhc wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:51 pm Hello.
it will be fine to use a Greek Alessi 1C, 1D or 1D mouthpiece for the bass trombone.
thanks for your replies
No. The Alessi line has a small bass trombone sized rim, but not bass trombone cups. It will be a smaller, harder sound than a real bass trombone mouthpiece.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
TheFilthOfFrank

I need to clarify my original post. I don't have range trouble. I find it quite difficult to slot the higher notes. I'm thinking maybe the size 5 would allow me to get those defined slots.
TheFilthOfFrank

I need to clarify my original post. I don't have range trouble. I find it quite difficult to slot the higher notes. I'm thinking maybe the size 5 would allow me to get those defined slots.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

TheFilthOfFrank wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:41 pm I need to clarify my original post. I don't have range trouble. I find it quite difficult to slot the higher notes. I'm thinking maybe the size 5 would allow me to get those defined slots.
That could be an issue with something like your leadpipe, which has a big effect on slotting. Or the function of your embouchure, which is somewhat dictated by the rim ID.

A 5 rim might help, but only if it lets your embouchure move correctly.
TheFilthOfFrank

I see. I play on a #2 Shires leadpipe. I can try a bach 4g pretty soon to see if it effects the slotting. I don't know how the different leadpipes will effect it.
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

The 5 from Griego Alessi is much bigger than the 5g, i have for sale a Griego Alessi 7d Brand new, just play tasted, that is the same size like bach 5g, €110 + shipping cost from Romania.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The OP is a 17 year old student, one note is not the reason to change mouthpiece, could it make things better? Maybe, could it mess your playing up? Maybe

All equipment choices are a compromise, talk to your teacher as he/ she will know your playing and practice routine, and it is what you pay them for.

Alternate, take the money you are looking to spend on the mouthpiece, have a lesson with Doug Elliott, who will give you more info on your chop set up than the usual teacher can, you will know if a 5G size is too small/big or just right, then armed with the knowledge you gain from Doug be able to make educated and informed choices on your next mouthpiece.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you are having trouble hitting the notes or staying in the slot, I'm not sure a mouthpiece change will change that. Slotting issues can sometimes point to an air leak in the horn. Is your trombone properly mainted and clean inside and out?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”