Mouthpiece change to Gold plated?

wembliss

Mouthpiece change to Gold plated?

Post by wembliss »

I think I've become allergic to nickel silver recently so I would like to replace my Schilke 42B with an equivalent size Gold plated or plastic mouthpiece.

I'd be very grateful if can anyone give me any brands and models that make anything close to the Schilke 42B in either Gold plate or Plastic.
Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece change to Gold plated?

Post by BGuttman »

Silver mouthpieces are plated with pure silver, not nickel-silver (which has no silver in it). Sometimes a nickel barrier layer is put between the silver and underlying brass. More often nickel is not used as a barrier layer.

For temporary relief, you could try painting some nail polish on the mouthpiece rim. It's not very durable and you may have to replace it every few days. Meanwhile, you can get a Schilke 42B in gold plate, or you can get your mouthpiece replated. Note that if you decide to have it plated, make sure the plating is 24 karat gold -- some jewelers plate less pure gold (like 14 karat).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

You can get any Schilke gold plated... may take forever to get it, but you can.

I'd also note that you can get a modular mouthpiece from Doug Elliott with either a gold rim or a lexan rim. ANY material you go to will feel different from silver. Gold is slippery; Lexan is a little sticky. I happen to like them both better than silver; but some people feel that silver is sort of a 'goldilocks' in terms of friction for the chops.

Cheers,
Andy
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Dave Friedman (in Bellingham, Washington) will gold plate your mouthpiece. He does excellent work.
Contact him for price and time frame.

Mouthpiece Plating Services
[email protected]
(877) 255-0193 [toll-free]
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I had good luck getting a mouthpiece gold plated by John Stork. His work was good, the turnaround was pretty fast, and the price was also good. Check his website, and be sure to contact them first to make sure they can take you right away.

Jim Scott
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

You can definitely get your mouthpiece re-plated. It looks like there have been some good recommendations. Personally, I sent mine to Dillon music was happy with the outcome.

One thing I wanted to mention, the people I know that develop an allergy to a silver mouthpiece also have the same issues with gold plated mouthpieces. They end up having to switch to stainless steel. There are some great stainless pieces out there. Off of the top of my head I know AR Resonance makes one, and Giddings Mouthpieces is exclusively stainless. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

Wembliss is in the UK.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

UK? Send it to be gold plated by Ian Kingshott at Team Music Ltd https://www.teammusicltd.co.uk/contact/

Highly recommended - I've had him do a few. Quality was excellent and quick turnaround.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Gold looks nice. If you really are allergic (most players who think they are are not) try lexan or stainless steel. Itried both. I do wash my mpc often in warm water and soup. Try that.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

\wembliss... there is this company in Alton, (UK) called Silvabronz they do gold plating and its good and thick. They plate a bespoke trumpet makers instruments for him. I have always found them to be accomodating and their standard of work is very high. Heres their webiste https://www.beckworth.net/services.html ... Doug
Richard3rd

Post by Richard3rd »

Why not just buy a gold rimmed mouthpiece for $40 more than standard?
Richard

King 2280 Euphonium
King 1130 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

You might consider Doug Elliott’s mouthpieces, here on this forum. http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/contents.html

He makes excellent 3-piece mouthpieces (rim, cup, shank). He makes rims in silver plate, gold plate (wears very well), and Lexan, which is advertised as hypoallergenic.

Right now his lathe is out of commission, but he recently got the repair parts and should be up and running soon. https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22177
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

The easiest thing to do is gold plate what you have. No need for a new mouthpiece unless you really just want a new mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”