Pitting on DW Gold-Plated Mouthpieces

TexasTBone

Pitting on DW Gold-Plated Mouthpieces

Post by TexasTBone »

I'm curious if anyone else has an issue with the gold plating on Denis Wick mouthpieces pitting on the rim. This is an issue with my current piece, but I had a previous DW piece where the gold plating simply peeled/flaked off down to the brass. I've never had an issue with their standard silver-plated pieces. I like a smooth rim and the pitting creates a lot of "grip" that gets annoying when I play.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
Buescher Grand Tru-Tone (1925)
spencercarran

Re: Pitting on DW Gold-Plated Mouthpieces

Post by spencercarran »

I have not experienced this yet on either of my gold plated DW pieces, but the older of the two is only from 2019 and hasn't seen an inordinate number of playing hours. Who knows if they'll hold up over the years.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, I've had this on two or three DWs. The old gold plating is pretty awful. If I still had them I'd have them replated for sure.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I've just had the rims replated on two DW mouthpieces. I have had them since about 1980 mind you and this is the first replate. One of them had to be done twice as the underlying material was so hard the new plating wouldn't stick.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

I think there was a problem with gold plated DW mouthpieces some years ago for a short while.

From what I recollect, gold plating on brass needs a barrier layer and this was omitted for a period of time leading to the gold plate pitting and wearing off very quickly. It was soon rectified.

I got my first DW mouthpiece, a gold plated 4AL, in the early 1970s and used them extensively for about 40 years until I discovered Doug Elliott pieces and some other more obscure pieces.

I still have my DW collection:- 0AL, 1AL, 4AL, 5BS, 10CS . All are gold plated and in almost as new condition. I also have an oddity, a genuine 4AS, probably a one off. It is also gold plated but the finish is slightly dulled. They have served me well.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

I stopped buying gold plated Wick pieces for this very reason. Plating would start to wear off after about a year of daily use, which then led to allergic reactions to the exposed raw brass. Not sure if they've since solved the problem or not. This was about 15-20 years ago.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I think the 4AS may have been the first stab at a mouthpiece for the Yamaha 321 (replaced by the 4AY).

Wick had problems with the gold plate in the beginning, but I have had Wick mouthpieces for around 30 years and had no problems with any of them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

My 6BS I got about 25-26 years ago and it flaked within a couple of years. My 5ABL is the one that's pitting and I've had for maybe 4 years. It wasn't being played daily until about 4 months ago.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
Buescher Grand Tru-Tone (1925)
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 am I think the 4AS may have been the first stab at a mouthpiece for the Yamaha 321 (replaced by the 4AY).
I checked with the Denis Wick people some years ago and they said it was not a standard item but would have been a special order for a customer. Chris Stearn (aka Fossil) told me that it was made for a British trombonist called Jim Ketchen who was the principle trombonist with the Sadlers Wells Orchestra and played a 6H with it but sounded like he was playing an 8H.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I will never use a DW mouthpiece again… I’ve had two where the gold plating simply peeled off within one year of use… subpar craftsmanship… SO many other options out there.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

deanmccarty wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:37 am I will never use a DW mouthpiece again… I’ve had two where the gold plating simply peeled off within one year of use… subpar craftsmanship… SO many other options out there.
I have never had any problems with the gold
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

FWIW the silver plated Wicks seem to hold up just fine.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

The first generation of gold Wicks seemed to wear through to the brass rather quickly. I found that my Giardinelli mouthpieces from the 70's did the same. The newer Wicks seem to have solved that problem. Better quality (higher carat) gold I think.

Jim Scott

Return to “Mouthpieces”