Hammond 11ml sizes

Tbone00

Hammond 11ml sizes

Post by Tbone00 »

Last week I tried a Hammond 11ml and I liked the rim and the sound but I felt that the sizes were differents than I thought. The rim, marked as 1.020, felt bigger than other rims I've tried in that size. The Cup also felt bigger than the 12ml cup, so I suppose that the bigger the rim the bigger the cup.
Anyone who have tried this mouthpiece could classify it in the DE system? I would say that is something like a XT 103N G G8 or maybe G9.
What do you think?
Last edited by Tbone00 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Hammond 11ml sizes

Post by Matt K »

Doug's rims are the inch measurement * 100. So a 1.02 is an XT102 or LT102. Width and shape of the rim are probably different but that's hard to put on paper.

I was under the impression the cup depths were the same.
ajeasley

Post by ajeasley »

I've played several Hammonds (all 12 rim - 12XL, 12ML, and 12S) and the inner diameter felt larger than the specs would indicate. Most charts put the 12 in the same ballpark as a Bach 5 or Schilke 51. It could be the contour of the rim rather than actually being bigger, but the feel is different and much more in line with something in the ballpark of a Wick 4. In terms of cup depth, it wouldn't surprise me if the 12ML was a bit shallower than most 5G type pieces.

I have a DE 102N/G/G8 on order. I'll be curious to see how that compares with the 12ML.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Rim shape has a huge impact on how "big" a piece feels. A rounder inner edge, or "bite" will feel larger than a piece with a sharper bite. Also,, where the high point of the rim is, in relation to the inner and outer edge will effect this.

Specifically where the rim is measured is different depending on who you speak to as well. There really isn't a concensus.

So, if the piece feels good on your chops, and makes the sound you want, enjoy it, and ignore the numbers.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:04 pm ... if the piece feels good on your chops, and makes the sound you want, enjoy it, and ignore the numbers.
:good:

Return to “Mouthpieces”