Bach Mt Vernon 11, can it be repaired?

although

Bach Mt Vernon 11, can it be repaired?

Post by although »

I've got a Mt Vernon 11 (there's no letter, just the number 11) mouthpiece that has had a plating loss problem. It came with a 1952 6H that seems to have been casebound since the 1950s. But, in the narrowest part of the mouthpiece bore, a big flake of silver was hanging loose. Easily half of the circumference of the inner bore just lost its silver plate in one big flake. The edges of the area aren't very smooth.

So, it seems to play all right... But, it kind of bugs me. I wonder, is this a reasonably easy fix? Is this MP one that would be a good candidate to pay to repair? What would you guys recommend?

Cheers! mike
Matt K
Verified

Re: Bach Mt Vernon 11, can it be repaired?

Post by Matt K »

Can you post a pic? It sounds like something that would be really routine for a person who silverplates mouthpieces
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If the plating failure is a flake, the proper repair is to strip all the plating, repolish, and replate. It's going to be a little more expensive than a simple overplate like might be done if you just have wear o n the rim. If the flake doesn't affect your embouchure, you may find that removing the flake (so it' doesn't block air) will let it play fine as is. If you remove the flake and it plays fine, just leave it. The exposed brass will tarnish with time, but it won't affect the playing.

Mount Vernon mouthpieces command a premium, but small cup sizes (and the 11 qualifies) aren't that rare so the premium isn't that much. You may be able to find a comparable mouthpiece for less than the cost of a replate.

Note that an 11 with no letter is a deeper mouthpiece than C, D, or E (it's actually the B depth; A is still deeper).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Dave Friedman can have it up and running for less than $50.

https://mouthpieceplatingservice.com/
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
although

Post by although »

Here's a picture:

although

Post by although »

I saw the post about Dave Friedman shortly after posting this :) I think I may give him a shout...

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

although wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:51 pm Here's a picture:

Bob Reeves' team can restore that MP as well. They are GREAT to work with.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

That is a bad plate job to start with. Good plating should never separate from the brass like that. It indicates, as Bruce said, that it should be stripped entirely and start over. Can't be done right for $50.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

Kenny Titmus of KT mouthpieces (formally with Warburton) can do it for you. I am sure he can replate it for you for a reasonable price, and I know he'll do a great job. He always does. He's in Orlando Fl. He has a facebook page if that helps you find him. Great guy too!
although

Post by although »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I reckon I might just leave it. I have pulled out the flakes that were hanging loose, so nothing is actually blocking the MP. I just wasn't sure if imperfections right there were considered problematic.

I might chuck a pointy felt polisher in a dremel and see if I can polish out the jagged edges. It's not like this is my all-time favorite MP that I can't live without. I haven't really spent any time playing it. Perhaps if I use it a bit, and decide that it's a great MP, I'll spend some resources on making it nice :)

Thanks again, mike
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

I sent a nasty-looking New York Bach to Dave Friedman. It came back quickly, looking beautiful, and at what I think was a very reasonable price.
Sander

Post by Sander »

I've got a Mt. Vernon 11 where all plating is off and it's all brown and raw. Still plays amazing, feels amazing, no weird smell nor taste nor discomfort. I've thought about Goldplating the mouthpiece, but I really think keeping it raw and original has its charm...

Yours doesn't look that bad, considering the age of the Mpc.
Sander
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Sander wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 am I've got a Mt. Vernon 11 where all plating is off and it's all brown and raw. Still plays amazing, feels amazing, no weird smell nor taste nor discomfort. I've thought about Goldplating the mouthpiece, but I really think keeping it raw and original has its charm...

The proper way to gold plate is to have it buffed, then plated silver as a barrier layer, and then gold plated (24K only) on top.

If you are not allergic to the brass, you can continue to play it as it is. I'd just recommend avoiding licking the mouthpiece -- you will get some copper in your saliva and it could be harmful in excess.

Your mouthpiece is easier to repair than the OP's. His has to be stripped first, then buffed, then plated.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Sander

Post by Sander »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:00 am
Sander wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:52 am I've got a Mt. Vernon 11 where all plating is off and it's all brown and raw. Still plays amazing, feels amazing, no weird smell nor taste nor discomfort. I've thought about Goldplating the mouthpiece, but I really think keeping it raw and original has its charm...

The proper way to gold plate is to have it buffed, then plated silver as a barrier layer, and then gold plated (24K only) on top.

If you are not allergic to the brass, you can continue to play it as it is. I'd just recommend avoiding licking the mouthpiece -- you will get some copper in your saliva and it could be harmful in excess.

Your mouthpiece is easier to repair than the OP's. His has to be stripped first, then buffed, then plated.
Yeah, and also goldplating is quite expensive, not knowing what the results will be, so leaving it as is is fine for me.
Normally I blow into the mouthpiece rather then licking it, always liking a dry non-slippery surface to get a good feeling with the horn.
OP's has rougher damage then mine, true that.
Sander
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Send it to John Stork in
Vermont. He will do a great job at a reasonable price, and with a quick turn around.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Excellent and reasonably-priced mouthpiece repair and re-plating:

Dave Friedman Repair
1323 Euclid Ave.
Bellingham, WA 98229
toll free in U.S. (877) 255-0193
[email protected]
https://mouthpieceplatingservice.com/
www.FriedmanSilver.com

Return to “Mouthpieces”