Boosey & Hawkes G.60 Mouthpiece

BaritoneJack

Boosey & Hawkes G.60 Mouthpiece

Post by BaritoneJack »

Does anyone know anything about this model, please?

From what I've been able to gather - and all a bit vague - it appears to date from the same era as a B & H Regent tenor trombone I've just bought, and I wondered whether it would match. The Regent has a half inch bore, and a seven and a quarter inch bell - tiny, for these days! And I'll be very interested to hear what sort of sound I get out of it.

It does need one of the slide legs slightly straightening, but nothing that Hanson's of Marsden can't sort for me (as they did before on another trombone). But as I only paid £87 for it, including shipping, and otherwise it's in surprisingly good nick for a 50 year old job, I don't mind spending the extra cash.

Any help on the G.60 would be much appreciated.

With best regards,
Jack
stewbones43

Re: Boosey & Hawkes G.60 Mouthpiece

Post by stewbones43 »

Hi,
Not much information available about these mouthpieces, I'm afraid. The only thing I know is that B&H/Besson did a whole range of G** mouthpieces to cover their brass instruments and, according to an old catalogue from around the 1980s, the G60 was the standard mouthpiece supplied with the 737 and 632 model trombones and also the 756 and 656 model baritones. Regret no specifications available.

Your B&H Regent trombone is from an earlier time as the bell size had gone up to 8in diameter by the time of my catalogue. Also, the bore size is probably smaller than 0.500in. The standard size bore was 0.487in diameter, which, with the 7.25in bell puts it in a similar size as a King 2B, making it an ideal horn for jazz combos or lead in a big band.

I hope you have some luck with the repair of the slide as replacements for that size slide are not available from new stock as far as I know.. If you hear of any repairer who has some stashed away, please let me know.

Cheers, and good luck.

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
BaritoneJack

Post by BaritoneJack »

@stewbones43 - many thanks for this info, Stew; it's much appreciated. I'm hopeful that Hanson's will be able to straighten out the bend, as it's quite a gentle one, rather than an abrupt kink. But, even if they can do that, I'll ask if they have any stock of the 0.487" tubing, or if they know of any possible source, and let you know.

Assuming that a goodly number of King 2Bs were sold, and are still in use, it's possible that the correct size of slide tubing is still available in the US, if not in Britain.

With best regards,
Jack
BaritoneJack

Post by BaritoneJack »

Further to my last post, the current King 2B is described as having a "small dual bore .481''/.491'' slide"; so that might not be a source of usable spare tubing. Well, I'll take the Regent up to Hanson's next week, and see what they say. Fingers crossed!

And best regards,
Jack
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Conn 4H had 0.485" slide tubes, so 4H parts may be your option.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BaritoneJack

Post by BaritoneJack »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:12 am The Conn 4H had 0.485" slide tubes, so 4H parts may be your option.
Many thanks for that suggestion, Bruce - it's much appreciated, and I'll bear it in mind.

With best regards,
Jack

Return to “Mouthpieces”