Griego Bowman

Elow

Griego Bowman

Post by Elow »

I’m looking for a new euph piece, my current mouthpiece that i’m playing on is a brass ark friedman… Doesn’t work too well on euph. Something about it just leaves me wanting more depth. Has anyone tried these out?
BGuttman

Re: Griego Bowman

Post by BGuttman »

If you want more depth, try a Bach 1 1/2 G (or equivalent). I use a Warburton 3B with a 3 shank on my Euph.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ajeasley

Post by ajeasley »

I have a large shank BB1 I bought in 2017 when this model was still distributed by DEG, and a medium shank BB1 I bought late last year from Griego.

This setup works well for me, though it has some limitations. I think that I get a very nice tone out of it, pitch centering is a breeze, and it blends well in a wind band. On the other hand, I find it to be very constricting and not a very comfortable mouthpiece. It's difficult to color your sound like anything else besides the characteristic tone out of the piece. If I played in a British brass band or did a lot of solo work, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Another caveat: the rim inner diameter is very small by most standards - definitely smaller than a Shires 5G I have. If you prefer a larger rim, the Wick Steven Mead series works really well on euphonium and would have a good depth of sound on the euphonium (the classic series or the Ultra - the Ultra X is a bit shallower).
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

My EUPH series works great with lots of size options.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'm not much of a euph player, but I did play professionally with the Utah Wind Symphony and did a half-masters on a euphonium assistantship. Doug set me up when I first started with a EUPH104N/K/K8 which I still have yet to find a better piece for my euph, although I now use a K8* shank. I do occasionally switch to something shallower, around the size of your Friedman... sort of. That piece is a little unusual, at least on paper. But I typically only do that for faster stuff like the piccolo double in Festive Overture.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The Bowman is going to be a massively smaller piece in the rim than a Friedman, like a slightly larger 6.5 rim vs a 3 rim.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

Email sent to doug

Return to “Mouthpieces”