Mouthpiece Weights

Burgerbob

Mouthpiece Weights

Post by Burgerbob »

I got very bored during the pandemic and measured the weights (in grams) of all my mouthpieces (as well as a bunch I happened to borrow).

I think it's very interesting how much variation there is in the same models from the same manufacturers, and then how little variation there is in other pieces in a variety of sizes from the same maker (Bach!).

If someone knows how to port this over to the TC spreadsheet system, go ahead so others can add their own.

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Re: Mouthpiece Weights

Post by Bach5G »

That’s a lot of mpcs.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Quite the collection, and they are not ordered quite as I would have guessed. Do the colors mean anything in particular?
Elow

Post by Elow »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:48 pm Quite the collection, and they are not ordered quite as I would have guessed. Do the colors mean anything in particular?
I’m think the colors are for different instruments, all the contra pieces are that dark red and basses are plain red. Large and small tenors are different shades of yellow. I think, i could be wrong
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I should make a chart comparing all my Bach 11Cs.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:48 pm Quite the collection, and they are not ordered quite as I would have guessed. Do the colors mean anything in particular?
Weight is on the right in a gradient, and Elow nailed it. They're colored by shank or instrument. I have contra, bass, large tenor/euph, and small shank represented.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'll give the data for my pieces if I get a chance
spoink47

Post by spoink47 »

you could create an excel spreadsheet online (with limited access, of course). So everyone can sort out for themselves. Filters could be Alphabetic order, Weight, Brand and etc.
to me sound pretty convenient
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Accuracy of scales will be the problem when different users are involved.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I mean, how accurate do you need it?
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 am I mean, how accurate do you need it?
If you’re trying to compare the relative weights of mouthpieces, and the exact same mouthpiece weighs differently on your scale versus mine, then what’s the point?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, my DE SYM 106N/G/G8 is 167g

My Harrison Reed Super Amazing Custom Non-Signature mouthpiece is 184g
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:25 pm
Weight is on the right in a gradient, and Elow nailed it. They're colored by shank or instrument. I have contra, bass, large tenor/euph, and small shank represented.
I got that they're listed in order of weight; meant that the relative weights of some surprised me - eg the bass pieces being mostly lightweight.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

spencercarran wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:07 am

I got that they're listed in order of weight; meant that the relative weights of some surprised me - eg the bass pieces being mostly lightweight.
Simply more material removed on the bass pieces!
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Man if you sold the ones you don't use... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

BrianJohnston wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm Man if you sold the ones you don't use... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Especially if you are teaching a bunch of students. At some point one kid you are working with needs a new mouthpiece because the POS that came with his rental isn't doing the job. Having that stash of pieces allows you to try a bunch of different mouthpieces and see what would constitute an improvement. Then sell that one to the student.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BrianJohnston wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:34 pm Man if you sold the ones you don't use... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That would be admitting defeat!

I keep a bunch for the reason Bruce said- it's nice to have some things a student can try. Plus, a good half of them aren't worth any money and aren't worth selling. The other half are always fluctuating, especially since I don't have any primary bass or large tenor trombone at the moment!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Does. Not. Compute. Explain? :wink:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Matt K wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:53 am
Does. Not. Compute. Explain? :wink:
I was thinking the same thing. Like people buying cars and thinking they'll get more money for them when they sell them later.

I'm sure Aiden knows that, of course. It might make sense of Aiden was 90 and bought some of the vintage rare mouthpieces he has brand new, but he didn't.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

"Mouthpieces. Those aren't mouthpieces!.......Just kids having fun."

Below is my primary .547 mouthpiece (Todd Clontz and I designed/made it several years ago). It weighs in at 345 grams. My wife tells me that her food scale is accurate within 5 grams.

Another thing.....BurgerBob's mouthpiece collection seems rather normal to me. There was a thread in the last year in which people shared their mouthpiece collections. I presently have about 170. If I remember correctly, there were several people who had many more than me. It seems like every time I buy a horn to rebuild, the seller throws in 3 or 4 mouthpieces with the deal. It's very easy to build up a collection when that happens repeatedly. I always keep a bin of mouthpieces that I need to clean up, buff and plate with silver. Currently, that bin has 8 or 9 mouthpieces in it. I sell 10-15 mouthpieces per year, so the collection has a constant ebb and flow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I do a purge every couple years and sell everything worth money that I don't use. But I'm not settled on a couple horns right now, worth keeping the extras to try.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Agreed, Burgerbob. It seems like I find a diamond in the rough occasionally when I spend time going through the collection.....trying mouthpiece/leadpipe/slide/bell combinations. During the pandemic, I discovered some great smaller mouthpiece/small bore horn combinations.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That mouthpiece looks crazy
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I probably have around 30 mouthpieces, no modular (yet). I know many who have far more.

I know that I have a terrible time selling stuff, so I avoid buying things for that reason.

Except for trombones, tubas, guitars, etc.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 pm That mouthpiece looks crazy
I'll admit that the photo tends to exaggerate the mass on the top 2/3 of the mouthpiece. So it is not quite as big as that photo looks. For me, the mass evens out all of the registers. When I play on lighter mouthpieces, certain notes seem to "flare up" or "jump out" for me in a variety of registers. This mouthpiece solves that problem.

I would use a high mass mouthpiece for bass trombone as well, but the additional weight would certainly take its toll on my left hand/arm. My left hand and arm have enough trouble making it through multi-hour rehearsals and gigs with my standard weight DE mouthpiece on my bass.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

802.9g
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Doug, I’m thinking there’s a huge untapped market here for a gigatone series for your lineup

Return to “Mouthpieces”