Small to large shank adaptor

PosauneCat

Small to large shank adaptor

Post by PosauneCat »

In another post I put up today a person suggested using an adapter for a small shank mouthpiece going into a large bore horn. We’ve probably all had to do this at one time or another, but I’ve always assumed that it was not the best thing to do. Does anyone know how the vastly different way an adapted mouthpiece sits in the lead pipe effects things? Like I said, I’ve always assumed that it was bad, but in reality I have no idea. :D
Burgerbob

Re: Small to large shank adaptor

Post by Burgerbob »

They're awful. :good:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

PosauneCat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:50 pm In another post I put up today a person suggested using an adapter for a small shank mouthpiece going into a large bore horn. ... Like I said, I’ve always assumed that it was bad, but in reality I have no idea. :D
Good assumption.

Those adapters were introduced when there was not the current readily available proliferation of mouthpieces. One of the adapters actually was provided with my new Conn 88H in 1972. Never used it; don't plan to in the future. Easy enough these days to get a large-shank mouthpiece that will fit your needs.
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:30 pm They're awful. :good:
Yep, that’s what I’ve always thought.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

One of the finest trombone players I have ever heard, the late Derek James, played many years in the London Philharmonic and Royal Philharmonic on a Bach 4 with adapter in his Conn 8H. Anything can work. I remember him saying that he wasn't a proper alto player as he used his tenor mouthpiece in it.... the Bach 4. Must have been a good 4.

Chris
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think Bill Pierce did his recordings on a 12C with an adaptor on an Olds Opera.

It can work but there are limitations. A small shank backbore is just not big enough to get the full potential out of a large shank instrument.... for most players.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Yes Bill Pearce used a 12c with adaptor on his Olds Opera
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

In his later years our old second trombonist, Kevin Thomson played a 4 with a shank after the holidays, until he felt ready to go back to the 4G. Sounded just as good.
Kevin sounded the same on everything.
I'm not advocating the use of a shank...I would never do it myself, just saying that great players can get away with some bizarre setups.

Chris
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That was me. At the end of the day, the adapter is just a piece of brass. There's little difference between a large shank mouthpiece and an otherwise identical small shank mouthpiece an an adapter. But the important part there is the "otherwise identical small shank mouthpiece". For example, the 6.5AL large & small shank have the same backbone (the "L") which is why the large shank variant has enormously thick walls. I think most people would find it very difficult to determine the difference between a small shank 6.5AL with an adapter and a large shank 6.5AL.

So the problem as Doug noted is that on large bore horns, the throat, backbone, etc. are typically not suited for the large bore, especially not for what most players use a large bore for. But someone using a shallow piece on a large bore is also atypical. And at $10 or thereabouts, it's hardly a high-risk experiment. But in my experience, on Doug's pieces, using one of the large shanks is always superior to using the adapter.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:31 am I think Bill Pierce did his recordings on a 12C with an adaptor on an Olds Opera.
Bill Pearce used a Mt. Vernon Bach 12 (no letter) - at least according to this article:
https://www.trombone.org/articles/view.php?id=105

But back to the original question...

The traditional application for a large-shank tenor is playing in a large ensemble (symphony orchestra or symphonic band); we expect the symphonic trombonist to be able to put out a lot of volume while retaining that "symphonic" sound (whatever the heck that is). That small shank mouthpiece has a (comparatively) smaller throat and backbore than its large-shank equivalent (the 6.5AL being an exception), making it more difficult (though certainly not impossible) to get the "big sound" (the need for which is probably the reason you're playing on that big horn in the first place).

The addition of an adapter also introduces an extra step (and thus an extra node) in the air column, adds extra mass in the receiver area, and impacts the acoustic coupling between the mouthpiece and the instrument. All of these things arguably have the potential to change the sound of the system as a whole. It's impossible to say if that change will, to your ear, positive or negative - only that a perceptible change is a possible outcome.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:28 amFor example, the 6.5AL large & small shank have the same backbone (the "L") which is why the large shank variant has enormously thick walls. I think most people would find it very difficult to determine the difference between a small shank 6.5AL with an adapter and a large shank 6.5AL.
One might argue that the large shank 6.5AL is just not very good.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I mean, I don't personally like them. But it is one of the, if not the, most popular mouthpieces ever. In contemporary times, it's certainly on the smaller side for large bore stuff though. And several of the copies (of which I personally own a Shires copy) of the 6.5AL and Clarke pieces have the same super thick walls. As do the not-exaclty-copies-but-inspired-by-similar-pieces like the Yamaha 48L.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:36 pm
Matt K wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:28 amFor example, the 6.5AL large & small shank have the same backbone (the "L") which is why the large shank variant has enormously thick walls. I think most people would find it very difficult to determine the difference between a small shank 6.5AL with an adapter and a large shank 6.5AL.
The 5GS could be thrown into this mix as well. I bet it's fine as a small shank piece for a .525" tenor; but, after acquiring a 5GL (and before that a 5G) I found it's too resistant as a large shank piece in a .547" large tenor, even with the beveled back bore (~8mm in from the tip) that the large shank 6 ½AL doesn't have.

I don't plan to have any experience with a large shank 6 ½AL for reasons before reaching the throat. :shuffle:
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

spencercarran wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:36 pm
I’ve NEVER met a 6 1/2al I’ve liked. I don’t get why they’re so popular.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The adapter is how I got started on bass trombone.

It was a way to eliminate one new thing from this thing that would have many new things about it.

I wasn't having to fight all the battles at once on the first day. I think I stayed on that for the first semester, then went to the no-name large shank mouthpiece that was in the case (it was a school horn), sensing that I wasn't yet getting the full oomph out of the horn.

And then the next summer I went to the music store and ordered the largest bass trombone mouthpiece they had in the catalog.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Do you guys find this "resistance" problem with a small backbore on tenor depending on range played or all the time for every note? I would expect only the lower notes, but I do not know for sure.

Anyway, it seems there should be plenty of opportunity to make a better adapter, one that fairs out the steps to resemble a full sized large shank. Then the nodes created as mentioned could be perhaps eliminated.

Now that especially folks like Doug create separate shanks the need for an adapter seems minimal.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

baileyman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:45 pm Do you guys find this "resistance" problem with a small backbore on tenor depending on range played or all the time for every note? I would expect only the lower notes, but I do not know for sure.

Anyway, it seems there should be plenty of opportunity to make a better adapter, one that fairs out the steps to resemble a full sized large shank. Then the nodes created as mentioned could be perhaps eliminated.

Now that especially folks like Doug create separate shanks the need for an adapter seems minimal.
The resistance problem will be across the range. The backbore ideally is tailored to the instrument, so that the right amount of airflow goes in, as well as planning the "gap" in the right spot. An adapter creates a huge step, and no matter what you do, even if you chamfer it, it creates a weird, inefficient gap.

On my own experience I've noticed that tighter backbores on a large bore tenor or bass trombone feel like there is LESS resistance. This is because they can't deliver the slower, larger volume of air into the vibrating air column that you need to get the horn to actually push back on you. So no matter how much air you try to use, all you get is a fast, small air stream that meets no resistance in the horn. Like firing a rifle bullet out of a cannon, it would actually go no where, because the is no pressure build up.

Likewise, on the other extreme, on alto, if I use something with a large backbore (like the Alessi alto mouthpiece), there is too MUCH resistance. This is because the larger backbore allows me to deliver so much air into the vibrating air column that makes up a note, regardless of the register, that the note vibration causes it to back up. With a tight backbore, the correct quality of air is basically guaranteed on alto.

I know a lot of people here don't like or understand the gun reference, but I think it is a really good one. In a cannon, if you try to fire a rifle bullet through it nothing will happen. Even if you put an entire cannonball's worth of powder into the rifle cartridge, it can't deliver enough of an explosion to create a pressure wave and build up resistance behind the tiny rifle bullet once it's in the cannon barrel. If the cannon ball is fitted to the cannon, almost to the point where it will be scraping the sides the whole way, then when the powder goes off the pressure build up is huge and the cannon ball is blasted miles and miles out of the barrel. If the ball is larger than the cannon, then no matter how much powder you use the resistance will be too great and all you wind up with is a split cannon.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's much more about resonance than air flow. You can blow much more air through even a small backbore, than you use in playing. What feels like resistance is actually inefficiency of resonance.

A too-small backbore isn't capable of fully resonating a large bore horn. It will just play like a smaller bore horn - not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you need or want. No adaptor with any amount of bevel will change that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:16 pm It's much more about resonance than air flow. You can blow much more air through even a small backbore, than you use in playing. What feels like resistance is actually inefficiency of resonance.

A too-small backbore isn't capable of fully resonating a large bore horn. It will just play like a smaller bore horn - not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you need or want. No adaptor with any amount of bevel will change that.
I think you're right. Perceived resistance vs actual resistance.

I don't think adapters are all that great, is the gist of it.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Usually I'd want the correct shank on a mouthpiece, to have a minimal "Step" at the end of the mouthpiece. I know that some mouthpieces (like the bach 6 1/2AL) in large shank already have a pretty big step, as the backbore is identical to the small shank version, so I guess on those it would not matter as much.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”