Brand Mundstucke Turboblow?

tombone21

Brand Mundstucke Turboblow?

Post by tombone21 »

https://reverb.com/item/37506763-brand ... t=37506763

Anyone ever heard of these? Tried em? Would love to hear thoughts. Any thoughts.
Looks like they rifled the inside to increase the spin rate of the air? I’ve tried boiling my mouthpiece in Coca-Cola and pine tar but this is a little extreme.

Here’s their website:
http://www.mundstuecke.ch/en/produkt/posaunen/
tbonesullivan

Re: Brand Mundstucke Turboblow?

Post by tbonesullivan »

It has finally happened. The advent of Rifled mouthpieces! No longer will we be constrained by the limitations of smoothbore. Now we can send out spinning air projectiles with far greater accuracy!
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I think... that is just the outer fluting details of the shape showing through the transparent material?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

robcat2075 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 am I think... that is just the outer fluting details of the shape showing through the transparent material?
There's definite rifling in the backbore.

robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

hmmm

I suppose the snake oil is good for your slide...
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

Herco Spitballs are going to be AWESOME out of one of those!
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Make sure to match your mouthpiece twist to your slide rifling or you'll get huge accuracy problems.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Does this work in the southern hemisphere?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, I think best brass already beat them to the post, although theirs is not true rifling:

http://www.bestbrass.com/mouthpiece/ind ... eft_groove
noordinaryjoe

Post by noordinaryjoe »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:16 pm FWIW, I think best brass already beat them to the post, although theirs is not true rifling:

http://www.bestbrass.com/mouthpiece/ind ... eft_groove
Parduba V2.0 ?
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
Pirate
MusicWagon

Post by MusicWagon »

Here are views of cross sections of a Brand mouthpiece. I too was skeptical at first, then as pleasantly surprised as any other player who has tried them.

IMG_9004.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I have a Brand trumpet mouthpiece with the booster thing - it was my main trumpet piece for a while. I tried all the Brand pieces (trumpet and trombone) at NAMM one year. While I wasn't a fan of the trombone pieces, one thing was true for all of the pieces: the booster made a massive difference. Without the booster the mouthpieces were...not great. With the booster, the trumpet mouthpieces were amazing and the trombone mouthpieces were decent. The booster is metal and is pretty hefty, dramatically increasing the weight of the mouthpiece.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the booster does not have grooves that match the grooves in the cup. Instead, it is "attached" by suction. If you twist it a certain way a certain amount of times and then put it on, it will stay on. Allegedly.

All I know is this: at NAMM, the sales guy showed me exactly how to properly suction the booster to the mouthpiece. He did it easily every time, and I got the hang of it there. I have never once been able to do it since.
SubK

Post by SubK »

I have a Brand 11C. I really like the feel of the mouthpiece. It allows for easy and smooth responsive tone production. The air just goes through the mouthpiece well. If you take a Bach 11C and a Brand 11C and blow, the difference is easily noticeable.

A little background on the so-called Turbobore mouthpieces: Romeo Adaci developed these mouthpieces. Adaci was a brass instrument maker. He died in 2015 and took his knowledge of making the drawn / rifled back bores to the grave it is said. Brand, however, has acquired a license and, since the mouthpieces are made of plastic, can continue to supply Turbobore mouthpieces. By the way: A few original Adaci Turbobore mouthpieces are still available at:

https://instrumente.music-service-geige ... re-posaune

Here is a description of the mode of action (translated with the help of deepl.com from an information letter on the website of Geiger company):

The TurboBore effect:
Due to a spiral-shaped inner contour, the air discharged by the blower is set in rotationand thus flows off better (suction effect). With the aid of the rotation, the outflowing air is guided past the stationary / the standing wave and can thus flow off controlled and more evenly. Due to the increased flow velocity, not only more air comes out of the aerophone, but at the same time more sound so that the sound of the instrument becomes fuller, louder, clearer, and richer in overtones. In plain language, this means that the wind player, in order to achieve the same volume as with a normal mouthpiece, theTurboBore player has to expend considerably less energy. Furthermore, it provides a very pleasant blowing sensation, as all notes respond almost uniformly and the air flows out in a controlled uniform manner.

The playing with a Brand feels a bit easier and, as stated in the description above somehow pleasant. But I don't like playing on the Makrolon mouthpieces very much in the long run. And I do have the impression that a bit of brilliance is lost due to the vibration characteristics of the Makrolon. In any case, the Brand needs a bit of mass, therefore I recommend to use it with the booster mentioned above or some other mass. I use a Klier Adjusting Sleeve for this. Perhaps Brand will one day decide to print its mouthpieces in metal, which is quite possible nowadays. Would be great!

Return to “Mouthpieces”