Bass Trombone Mouthpiece Recommendations

jgasche

Bass Trombone Mouthpiece Recommendations

Post by jgasche »

Currently, I use a Bach 1G. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has experience in the larger Bass Trombone mouthpieces. Thinking of changing to 1 1/4G. Would it use considerably less air?
BGuttman

Re: Bass Trombone Mouthpiece Recommendations

Post by BGuttman »

A 1 1/4 G is SMALLER than a 1G. It may be better for you, or not.

How to know if your mouthpiece is too big? First, if your register above the bass staff is uncomfortably flat. Second, if you seem to tire out relatively quickly.

I should point out that you will need to play F 2 lines above the bass staff much more often than a double pedal. So a large mouthpiece that gives incredible low range at the expense of the upper range is not a solution.

My preferred bass trombone mouthpiece is a little smaller than a 1G (I found the 1G and Schilke 60 to be very uncomfortable). My Doug Elliott setup has a 1 1/4 sized rim and a cup almost as deep as the 60. In fact, it's pretty close to the Yamaha Yeo. But I can play double C (4 lines above the bass staff) on it. And yes, I did have to play that note in a bass trombone part in Big Band.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The Bach 1G has a larger throat than a Bach 1 1/4G, so yes, it should technically take less air. But things are a bit more complicated than that.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Savio

Post by Savio »

I would suggest the Yamaha Douglas Yeo signature mouthpiece. I had a chance to try it recently, and was surprised how it worked for me even Im used to the 1 1/2g. It has a "Bach" feel but obvious much more quality than the Bach 1g I think.

Leif
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Savio wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:31 pm I would suggest the Yamaha Douglas Yeo signature mouthpiece. I had a chance to try it recently, and was surprised how it worked for me even Im used to the 1 1/2g. It has a "Bach" feel but obvious much more quality than the Bach 1g I think.

Leif
The Yeo “Replica” is an inexpensive alternative to the Signature model.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Schilke 59/60 are also common recommendations.

I play a similar size to you for bass: an LB114/L/L9. For commercial stuff I sometimes put a J/J8 on it though. The rim size is very similar to yours but the cup is a little shallower. I find that the shallower cupts do tend to be a little more economical, but less broad. With Doug's stuff the backbone can be exchanged too though, and the difference between the 8, 9, and 10 tapers is pretty big. Even something that is closer to yours, such as an LB114/M/M8 might be a bit more efficient. I really dont' like the Bach 1 sizes personally. Doug's stuff is a lot more efficient for me overall.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

FWIW, my Doug Elliott setup is LB112/L/L7 [sic] (Doug made a 7 backbore for a while -- it's a little tighter than the 8).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

I have 2 very different bass trombones, so 2 different sets of mouthpieces.

My main bass is a Rath/Holton/Benge hybrid independent and I usually use a Doug Yeo Signature model for classical orchestra stuff but for big band work I have a Doug Elliott LB114E8-very shallow for a bass but it gives me the depth of range with added brightness.

My small bass is a single trigger Besson Academy 409 and I use that for lighter orchestral works with a VB 1.5G. I sometimes use it instead of the larger bass for rehearsals because it is lighter and I am not getting any younger. For that I sometimes use a Schilke 59.

I am fortunate in that I can switch mouthpiece sizes quite happily-a legacy of a lifetime of teaching a full range of brass instruments. It works for me but may not work for anyone else.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

jgasche wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:26 pm Currently, I use a Bach 1G. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has experience in the larger Bass Trombone mouthpieces. Thinking of changing to 1 1/4G. Would it use considerably less air?
A 1 1/4G will likely will take less air than a 1G. However, all things being equal,* the amount of air required to make a good sound should be secondary to making a good sound.

*If you can make a good sound with the 1G, why change? If you don’t like the way you sound, or if it’s not a comfortable mouthpiece to play, then maybe—maybe—a change would help. If you’ve tried various breathing exercises to develop greater use of your lung capacity and to blow more efficiently and you still don’t like the sound, then maybe—maybe—a change would help. At any rate, don’t just take somebody’s word for it here on TC r elsewhere. Ask your teacher or colleagues. If you don’t trust them, then ask Doug Elliott here on TC. He’s excellent at helping players find a mouthpiece that works for them.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Good advice here. I would like to add a recommendation to look at the Greg Black 1 1/4G with a .312 throat and #2 backbore.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

As stated before, the Yeo is a good first place to go. It’s on the bigger side, and what I really enjoy about it is how much thought went into its production, it was in my opinion a very well made attempt to find something close in size to a Schilke 60 (somewhat) but with better efficiency.

You can read on Mr. Yeo’s Website about it.

Other makers like Black and Hammond are worth looking into as well, but probably more on the pricier side.

Return to “Mouthpieces”