Remington shank mods!

Tbarh

Remington shank mods!

Post by Tbarh »

Anyone shaved the shank on a Remington for deeper fit in a Morse tapered receiver?.. If so, what was the resulting blow?... (Given that the end of shank goes furter in against the venturi)

Thanks!

Trond
stewbones43

Re: Remington shank mods!

Post by stewbones43 »

I used to have a Remington which had had the shank modified to fit a standard large bore Morse taper receiver. I did a comparison with it in my Gen II 88H and an original Remington in a friends Elkie 88H. I could not detect any difference in the way they blew. I also have a Connstellation Remington with the small shank which I use in a 74H and that works in a very similar way but has an improved upper register as you would expect.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

stewbones43 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:47 am I used to have a Remington which had had the shank modified to fit a standard large bore Morse taper receiver. I did a comparison with it in my Gen II 88H and an original Remington in a friends Elkie 88H. I could not detect any difference in the way they blew. I also have a Connstellation Remington with the small shank which I use in a 74H and that works in a very similar way but has an improved upper register as you would expect.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Thanks!
I am thinking about ordering a 1919 Conn replica Leadpipe from Brassark and they can deliver it with Remington receiver without extra charge.. However, as i am still undecided as to which mouthpiece to use i am thinking standard Morse... 👍
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Perhaps have Bob Reeves cut the mouthpiece for sleeves, so that you can use it as either Remington or Morse?
droffilcal

Post by droffilcal »

I had Robb Stewart in LA (now retired, I think) modify a couple of Remington pieces to fit a stock Bach 42 leadpipe. He did it in about 5 mins total, threw it in his lathe and BAM! Robb is a brass tech wizard (really!), but av good tech should be able to do it pretty easily.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

droffilcal wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm I had Robb Stewart in LA (now retired, I think) modify a couple of Remington pieces to fit a stock Bach 42 leadpipe. He did it in about 5 mins total, threw it in his lathe and BAM! Robb is a brass tech wizard (really!), but av good tech should be able to do it pretty easily.
How did it blow afterwards? 😉
droffilcal

Post by droffilcal »

They worked great, better than before, but it wasn’t a revelation or anything like that; I would say that if you love the Remington already then you’ll probably be even happier with the modified shank, but it likely wouldn’t change your opinion in a substantial way.

Does that make sense?
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

droffilcal wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:41 am They worked great, better than before, but it wasn’t a revelation or anything like that; I would say that if you love the Remington already then you’ll probably be even happier with the modified shank, but it likely wouldn’t change your opinion in a substantial way.

Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense... The reason i am a bit sceptical is that the the Leadpipe i plan to use is a 1919 Conn replica which have the venturi at a different spot than usual (I suspect closer to the end of the mouthpiece shank) and the gap between the end of the shank and the venturi will be too short.. (obviously because the piece will protrude furter into the receiver) Now, does that make sense? 😁
jeremyesmith

Post by jeremyesmith »

I found this trick on the Bob Reeves blog for trumpet mouthpieces that actually works for trombones as well. It helped me notice a difference on my Elkhart 62H with a Yeo mpc.

https://bobreeves.com/blog/this-one-sim ... et-easier/
Jeremy Smith
Founder/Editor - www.lastrowmusic.com
Bass Trombone - Huntington Symphony Orchestra
Low Brass Professor - Ohio Wesleyan University, Kenyon College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

jeremyesmith wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 am I found this trick on the Bob Reeves blog for trumpet mouthpieces that actually works for trombones as well. It helped me notice a difference on my Elkhart 62H with a Yeo mpc.

https://bobreeves.com/blog/this-one-sim ... et-easier/
Brilliant! 😉👍Thanks 👌will do!
( allthough trumpet have a more pronounced gap than trombone, this adresse the problem)

Return to “Mouthpieces”