John Coffey Mouthpieces - Title corrected

dukesboneman

John Coffey Mouthpieces - Title corrected

Post by dukesboneman »

I`ve heard of these and seen ONE. Wayne Andre was playing one when I had him in as a guest soloist
I read somewhere that that`s what Bob Brookmeyer played on for years.
Does anyone know any more about these?
They would seem to be rarer than an Altmont
Last edited by dukesboneman on Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyperbolica

Re: John Swallow Mouthpieces

Post by hyperbolica »

I studied with him in the '80s and only remember him playing a 6 1/2 al I think on his 36b. I'd imagine that anything he designed might have been a little small. He was never impressed by large equipment
DonH

Post by DonH »

He played a Bach 4 on a Bach 36( he also had a Bach 34 that was stolen.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

When I studied with him in the late 90’s, he was playing a gold plated Schilke 52 on a 36 with a Thayer. I remember going to his apartment in Stamford for a lesson once and he showed me the above mentioned Bach 4 and his Mount Vernon 4G that was made for him by Bach when he played a large bore horn. It was shallower than the modern 4G’s, closer to a Greg Black4G/5G cup.
Last edited by chromebone on Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

dukesboneman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 pm
I read somewhere that that`s what Bob Brookmeyer played on for years.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the John Coffey model mouthpiece? That's what I always remember reading Brookmeyer played on.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

And the John Coffey is definitely what Wayne Andre used.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
griffinben

Post by griffinben »

I have 2 John Coffey mouthpieces. Both are small shank and marked 4, which roughly corresponds with Bach rim sizes. The cups on them are radically different. I'd love to find smaller sizes.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Yes,
I`m sorry I was mistaken on the Name.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

dukesboneman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:59 am Yes,
I`m sorry I was mistaken on the Name.
Ok, yeah, I couldn't imagine anyone being interested in Swallow's equipment choices. I have a friend who knew John Coffey. I can ask if he has any stories about his equipment he can tell (in public) :idk:
chromebone

Re: John Coffey Mouthpieces - Title corrected

Post by chromebone »

Why shouldn’t anyone be interested in John Swallow’s equipment choices? He was a truly great player by any standard.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

chromebone wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am Why shouldn’t anyone be interested in John Swallow’s equipment choices? He was a truly great player by any standard.
Just that he wasn't as interested in equipment as what you could do with it. He didn't care what I showed up with, as long as I could make it perform. Whether he played 79h, 36b or 42b, he didn't make a scene about it. He was more about the music and the performances and the techniques he taught. My lessons with him paid no attention to my equipment (after he took a paper clip and ripped the springs out of my 88h slide because the sound drove him crazy.)

I think he'd prefer his legacy to be his playing and teaching more than his hardware.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

I guess that’s my point. I studied with him too; his response to trying different equipment questions were “just try practicing”.

When I studied with John, the trombone world was full on in the middle of “heavier and bigger elephant gun equipment is better” wars. Megatone mouthpieces, backbores drilled out on a Halliburton Gulf of Mexico oil rig, 3g-1g sized rims because Joe Alessi played one; heavyweight red brass bells with extra lead thrown in for good measure plus free physical therapy for the resultant shoulder injuries...
But John paid no heed; style above all; style determined technique. I loved the sound he got on his 36.

In the end, he has proved to be right: players are back to lighter bells, rotor valves are back, you can show up to an audition with an 88h and a Schilke 51 and no one will give you the side eye if you sound good. Style above all.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

I have one. Feels like a bit larger than a 6.5 and very comfy.
PhillyG

Post by PhillyG »

In never knew the big guy on the GREEN MILE got into making brass mouthpieces. Who knew????

Return to “Mouthpieces”