Tenor mouthpieces for doublers

JCBone

Tenor mouthpieces for doublers

Post by JCBone »

I currently primary on bass on use mostly a Holton 87. Whenever I switch to tenor (stomvi 5a) it becomes very unpleasant to sudennly mover to such a small piece. So what recommendations do you have. I have heard that a lot of people will use a 4g size with a 3g rim. What are your opinions on this?
Last edited by JCBone on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukesboneman

Re: Tenor mouthpieces for doublers

Post by dukesboneman »

When I have to double quickly, as in a Musical. I have to practice the double.
I played Music Man a couple years ago , and the book was tenor/Bass starting in Nov
In July I put my tenor and Bass out on the practice stands and every day I would practice both horns
This got my chops used to switching back and forth
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I'd agree with dukesboneman.

Some will play both instruments with a 3G (Schilke 57) mouthpiece.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I had to increase the diameter of my tenor pieces. Once that got to a certain size, the switch to bass or even tuba was less traumatic. I went from a basic 5g to a DE 104 rim, about the size of a 3g.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

104 is a good size for a lot of tenor players whether they double or not. Yes, it makes it easier to do the switch.
I also make the option of using your bass rim size on tenor depth cup, so the switch is seamless - if that works for you. It doesn't work for everybody.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I am primarily a bass trombone player, and I like the DE N104 rim size on tenor as well.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I play the N106 size on alto, small bore, large bore, euph, and hopefully soon bass. It works very well, and there is never an issue switching instruments.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I take a different position.... as a bass trombonist doubling small tenor, I need to make sure the mouthpiece is a classic for that instrument so as to most easily get the sound and range, so it's a MV Bach 11c for me. Primary tenor players can have more latitude and still sound right.

Chris
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:17 pm I also make the option of using your bass rim size on tenor depth cup, so the switch is seamless - if that works for you. It doesn't work for everybody.
That's what works for me.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I am a bass player that can’t be picky about gigs right now. So I have gotten a lot of tenor gigs. I play a 1 1/2Gish on bass and a Alessi 1C on tenor. I am getting the right sounds and blending in brass quintet and trombone octet stuff. (We are still social distanced and wearing masking when not playing, Covid tests before, etc).
That is what works for me. YMMV.
Johnstad

Post by Johnstad »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:17 pm I also make the option of using your bass rim size on tenor depth cup, so the switch is seamless - if that works for you. It doesn't work for everybody.
I use this too. Works great. No "Rim shock" when I switch from bass to tenor.
MuscleMouth

Post by MuscleMouth »

I always got a funny buzz sound when switching from my marching band peashooter Olds Ambassador back to my Blessing big bore concert/solo/ensemble tank. I remember asking my trombone professor in college about it, because that funny buzz sound was rampant among trombone doublers everywhere. I seriously thought it was impossible to fix, but he managed to conquer it somehow.

“You practice a lot, on both of them. That’s how you do it.”
- Dr. Bruenger
He spoke softly, carrying 22 pounds of medal.

Equal time, and lots of it. Practice the transition areas back and forth between instruments and that funny buzz will get better, or worse until it gets better. Or it’ll get worse until you give up and take your precious concert/solo/ensemble tank to the football field, to sacrifice it to the gods so that they May feast upon your woeful lamentations.
They really dig that. It’s like, their thing.
John “MuscleMouth” Lugo has arranged, recorded and performed with artists from such acts as Parliament/Funkadelic, Kool and The Gang, The Stooges, The Circle Jerks, The Skatalites, Fishbone, Suicidal Tendencies, Menudo and The Doobie Brothers.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

FWIW, I'm currently using a Yamaha 52L on bass and large-bore tenor, then a Yamaha 52S on my King 3B/F. True, I wish the 52S would have a bit more of a shallow cup, but since I tend to play bright on small-bore to begin with, it's okay. I don't notice any range issues with it on small-bore. So, for my own use, I have proof of concept for keeping the rim size the same, although I think most people would tend to find the 52L a little small for bass. I don't, though. I like the sound and flexibility it affords.

Return to “Mouthpieces”