Holton 87 specs

JCBone

Holton 87 specs

Post by JCBone »

Can somebody please give me the specs for the Holton 87? Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Holton 87 specs

Post by BGuttman »

Didn't you ask this once before? I don't have one but a lot of those old Holton mouthpieces were 12C ish.

Do you have a US Quarter Dollar (25 cent piece)? How deeply does it fit in the cup? A 12C will be almost flush.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:03 pm Didn't you ask this once before? I don't have one but a lot of those old Holton mouthpieces were 12C ish.

Do you have a US Quarter Dollar (25 cent piece)? How deeply does it fit in the cup? A 12C will be almost flush.
I asked again because nobody responded to the old thread. The 87 Is a bass piece so it's definetly not a 12c. My best guess would be somewhere around a 2g? I'm actually mainly interested in the rim size. How would I go about accurately measuring the rim?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It's tricky. You need a Vernier Caliper. You adjust the "inside" blades so that they are where the cup would end if there were not a fillet (rounding) of the rim. You can't be totally accurate this way. If you bring the blades inside the fillet, you will get a number that is a little too small.

If you have a known mouthpiece, you can try comparing similar measurements on the Holton and on the known. The fillets are pretty close, so that part should "wash".
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I have a Holton 87 and a Holton 1 1/2G....the 87 is smaller across the inner rim, but the rim is wider. I'd say the 87 is closest to a 2G across the rim, but the cup depth is the same as the 1 1/2G. Both have open throats, long bores and unique Holton shank tapers.

Chris
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

FOSSIL wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:18 pm I have a Holton 87 and a Holton 1 1/2G....the 87 is smaller across the inner rim, but the rim is wider. I'd say the 87 is closest to a 2G across the rim, but the cup depth is the same as the 1 1/2G. Both have open throats, long bores and unique Holton shank tapers.

Chris
Thanks! I thought it would be something along those lines.

Return to “Mouthpieces”