Connstellation 3-B

stewbones43

Connstellation 3-B

Post by stewbones43 »

Ebay UK has a couple of Conn Connstellation 3-B mouthpieces for sale at the moment. They are listed as bass trombone pieces so can I assume that they have Remington shanks?

I have a Connstellation Remington piece which has a small shank and I like it a lot. It is pristine. I use it in my 74H.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Posaunus

Re: Connstellation 3-B

Post by Posaunus »

stewbones43 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 pm Ebay UK has a couple of Conn Connstellation 3-B mouthpieces for sale at the moment. They are listed as bass trombone pieces so can I assume that they have Remington shanks?

I have a Connstellation Remington piece which has a small shank and I like it a lot. It is pristine. I use it in my 74H.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Yes the Connstellation 3B is a bass trombone mouthpiece with a "Remington" shank. I use one successfully in my Conn 71H bass trombone - it's a great match. (I think it was original equipment.) Measurements: Cup I.D. ~27.25mm (1.073"); Throat 7.49mm (0.277"); rather deep and V-shaped cup. Works better for me than a Bach 1½G.

The small-shank Connstellation "Remington" was, I believe, supplied as a standard piece for the Conn 79H, for which it is also a great match. Measurements: Cup I.D. ~25.55mm (1.006"); Throat 6.15mm (0.242"); also a rather V-shaped cup. Supposedly a small-shank version of the large-shank "Remington CL" that was supplied for years with Conn 88 & 88H trombones.

I wonder why I like both the Connstellation 3B and small-shank Connstellation "Remington" - but never could get used to or successfully play the large-shank "Remington CL" ? :idk:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The 3B's I have measured were a bit smaller than that, I think I would call it 1.05" inside. I have one somewhere, I'll have to check again.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I used to have one of those Conn 3B mouthpieces. Yes, Remington shank (though it fit well in my worn Holton). Sold it a while back, so take my recollections with a grain of salt, but pretty sure it was noticeably smaller than a 1 1/2G. I tried to make it work for a while but ultimately the bigger/deeper Yeo mouthpiece was a better overall sound.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I found 2 in my collection. Slightly different between them but both about 1.07"

I measure most 1-1/2G's at 1.08"
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”