Mt. Vernon/NY Bach pieces and pricing

ChadA

Mt. Vernon/NY Bach pieces and pricing

Post by ChadA »

Hey all,
I have a couple old Bach mouthpieces I’m considering listing for sale. One’s a Mt. Vernon 12, the other a NY 7. Obviously condition is king, but what does the vintage nature do to the pricing in general?
FOSSIL

Re: Mt. Vernon/NY Bach pieces and pricing

Post by FOSSIL »

Plain numbers are generally worth a lot less.. a 12c would still be a bit niche but a 7c NY would get real interest...7 and 12.... think of a number, put it out there and see what happens. Don't be too greedy though.

Chris
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

A question that can hardly be answered.
I think it's a philosophy ... some think the older material is the better one sound wise ... but also a lot less standardized than they are today.
I can't understand why plain numbers should be worth a lot less ... it's only a matter of cup depths, as the Bach documentation shows.
Since I love vintage instruments and with my first MT Vernon got the feeling they sound more elegant than the more modern Bachs ... and bought a few others to vary the sound when I want to ... I probably paid too much for each of them.

Check the market, find an average price level and set a number for your mouthpieces.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Nobbi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:59 am
I can't understand why plain numbers should be worth a lot less ... it's only a matter of cup depths, as the Bach documentation shows.
No-letter mouthpieces also have smaller throats on average. I have almost a full set, they are largely less fun to play just because they can't take the air.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 am
Nobbi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:59 am
No-letter mouthpieces also have smaller throats on average. I have almost a full set, they are largely less fun to play just because they can't take the air.
You may change your tune when you get to be older and wheezy like me :tongue:

That said, smaller Bach mouthpieces from the New York and Mount Vernon eras are much more common and don't often command huge premiums.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Mouthpieces”