Mystery mouthpiece

biggiesmalls

Mystery mouthpiece

Post by biggiesmalls »

This somewhat crudely made stainless steel mouthpiece came in a near mint condition time capsule 1960 2B, alongside the original King 21.

It's a really strange piece. My calipers, eyes and touch tell me that it's essentially a copy of a Bach 1G rim (see side-by-side image) with a medium depth cup and small shank that sits very deep in the 2B receiver. The throat is really narrow, smaller than the King 21.

It could just be someone's garage project, but I'm curious to see if anyone recognizes the work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis

Re: Mystery mouthpiece

Post by Dennis »

It bears some resemblance to a Beversdorf W-3 mouthpiece one of my teachers had, but I don't think Beversdorf worked in stainless steel.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Looks almost like something that was never finished, as there is almost no transition to the throat, just a hole in the bottom of the cup.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
SlideCrook

Post by SlideCrook »

...how does it play? I have a small shank VB 1G that really flattens the upper register but cranks pedals like a party trick. I wonder how the teeny throat affects the air consumption and efficiency.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

SlideCrook wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:21 pm ...how does it play? I have a small shank VB 1G that really flattens the upper register but cranks pedals like a party trick. I wonder how the teeny throat affects the air consumption and efficiency.
Well, it's playable, but it's not a mouthpiece I would ever choose to play!

There's some airy junk in the sound in every register, which I suspect comes from the lack of transition from cup to throat that tbonesullivan mentioned; it's similar to the sound I've gotten when I've accidentally paired the wrong DE cups and shanks together.

The intonation is not great, but acceptable until 7th partial, then very flat from there on up.

The pedals are playable but stuffy; that tiny throat just can't move enough air to play pedals any louder than mezzoforte.
Slidennis

Post by Slidennis »

Jet-Tone have throat shapes like this one, and made doubler's mpc at a time (large trombone rimmed trumpet mpc, for trombonists dubbling on trumpet...)
Denis the musician wannabe trying to depart from gear geeking... :shuffle:

Return to “Mouthpieces”