Mouthpiece Info Request

RoscoTrombone

Mouthpiece Info Request

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I have in my possession a Marcinkiewicz George Roberts model but don't know anything about it spec wise.

All I know is that they are probably pretty hard to come by so any further info is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ross
GabrielRice

Re: Mouthpiece Info Request

Post by GabrielRice »

I don't know specifically about the Marcinkiewicz, but every George Roberts model mouthpiece I've seen is somewhere between a large 1-1/2G and a small 1-1/4G with a throat fairly large relative to the rest of the specs.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I briefly had the Brass Ark Mr Bass and the blank was huge compared to other pieces.

I've dug out an old Bach 1.5G and they seem pretty much the same across the rim but the Marc cup is maybe a tiny bit bigger as is the throat.

I've seen people on here mention a Marc size 2 but it's no longer there and on on the website the only difference between the 3 & 1.5 seems to be cup depth.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Grahambone wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am One bit of misinformation here, the 1 1/2G is the same mouthpiece as the GR. Same program made on the same lathe. There was never a Model 2
There's your answer, direct from the company
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

What's interesting is that there is a Marcinkiewicz 3 that is supposed to be 1 1/2 G sized. I have one of those and the GR. The GR is a little bigger than the 3.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

And here was me thinking I'd gotten myself something a little bit rarer...I'm guessing now because it's stamped GR it makes you play better ;) .Coming to a mouthpiece classifieds near you so watch this space...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, should be similar to the model 1. I also have a Teele which is a GR with a larger throat.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Grahambone

Post by Grahambone »

Hey Trombone Chat!

Graham from Marcinkiewicz here. Our 1½G (formerly the George Roberts Model) has a rim similar to a Bach 1.5G, but uses a different cup shape. Internally, we call this a CV cup, the top has a bit of an undercut past the rim bite (like a top of a Bach C cup) and transitions into a V shape towards the bottom. Ross, people still look for those GR stamped mouthpieces. It fits into the older is better mindset.

The throat entrance is wider, and again more V shaped, than the Bach. The throat itself is a touch bigger that a Bach (.281" vs .276"). Our standard mouthpieces have a pretty light weight exterior shape, so they have less weight resistance and balance pretty well with the .281 throat. Your milage may vary. A lot of mouthpiece makers are using .312 or .316 throats in bass trombone mouthpieces. If you come from playing something this open, you might find the Marcinkiewicz bass trombone mouthpieces to play a little tight. I am in a similar boat, and have found a .302 throat to work well with something like our EBT1. We are happy to make throat modifications on any of our mouthpieces.

Our Model 3 that Bruce referenced, is the same rim program as the 1½G (and GR) but with a shallower cup. Its a great option for a Conn 70-72Hesque small bell bass trombone. I have a modified 71H that I use the Marcinkiewicz Model 3 with to good results. I often suggest the Model 3 for bass players looking to dabble in large bore tenor.

The EBT2 Teele is a different design than the GR (1½G). The Teele is a wider inner rim diameter and a deeper cup. They both have the same .281 throat size. My best comp to the EBT2 Teele is like a Hammond 20 rim (a touch smaller that a Bach 1 1/4G) with our CV cup shape. Most of our bass trombone mouthpieces exist between a Bach 1.5G and a 1.25G rim range. Back in the era the Joe was making custom mouthpieces and establishing these designs, thats what most people played. If you are looking for bigger options, check out our contra mouthpieces they use a Morse taper shank and have a long blank similar to the older Schilke mouthpieces.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am always happy to talk mouthpieces. My work email is [email protected] and I check that daily. I only venture to TC once in a while, so my response time here may be a little slower.

Cheers,
Graham Middleton

Return to “Mouthpieces”