Symington

Elow

Symington

Post by Elow »

Anyone know if there will be any other sizes? I have a 2 in brass and a 1.5 in zirconium and love them both. A tenor mouthpiece would be great
Thrawn22

Re: Symington

Post by Thrawn22 »

Mrdeacon would be a guy to ask.

I love the 1.5 i bought from mrdeacon. It's been my primary mpc for bass as of late.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bill is on the forum as well. He might chime in!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I just corresponded with Bill a couple of weeks ago over email (speaking of which I need to email Bill back...).

He said he's hoping to design a 5g one day but he hasn't been able to get his hands on an MV 5G to make a design from. I'm sure other designs are in the pipeline but when you're a small operation you have to make the new designs, one model, at a time. It took around 4-6 months (Bill correct me if I'm remembering that wrong) for the Symington 2G to come to fruition after receiving my MV 2G.

Bill is a fantastic guy! If anyone has a MV 5g or 4g you should definitely hit him up. I'd love to play a 5g or 4g in ZR.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:12 pm
Bill is a fantastic guy! If anyone has a MV 5g or 4g you should definitely hit him up. I'd love to play a 5g or 4g in ZR.
Just had a call with him last week. Trying to make a 5g out of a MV I may get access to. So there's hope :-)
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
islander

Post by islander »

Happy Monday,

Yes, a 5G has been in my sights for a while but there's nothing going in the world that has been making the project easier. I had a good chat with Daniel (SwissTbone) the other day and it appears that there's a chance to get hold of a good MV, so fingers crossed.

Philip, I guess it took about 2 months to get the first prototype #2, but a lot of the delay relates to getting into phase with the CNC engineers and their production pipeline. So it can be quicker than that. Theoretically. Then it boils down to whether the prototype is any good - that's when it can really get time-consuming!

5G seems a natural place to go next.

Bill
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That explanation tells me that getting the CNC program set for a new Symington involves finding a needle in a haystack first. I 100% understand the value in cataloguing and preserving an amazing example of a mouthpiece, and I get that that allows you to further cut it from other metals and experiment that way.

But if that is the method, it might be a while!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:38 pm That explanation tells me that getting the CNC program set for a new Symington involves finding a needle in a haystack first. I 100% understand the value in cataloguing and preserving an amazing example of a mouthpiece, and I get that that allows you to further cut it from other metals and experiment that way.

But if that is the method, it might be a while!
Judging by Bill Symington's previous efforts the wait will be worth it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”