gold plating

heinzgries

gold plating

Post by heinzgries »

Last week i have bought a galvanic plating kit. Now i go on plating all my mouthpieces with gold. Its realy easy and
makes much fun. The price for the kit pay off if i plated 7 mouthpieces.
https://www.real-gold.de/en/produkte/ga ... lating-kit
Neo Bri

Re: gold plating

Post by Neo Bri »

I will be curious to see how the plating holds up under playing conditions. I hope you'll keep us updated with progress and pictures.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

It's my understanding you need a layer of silver plate on a brass mouthpiece for the gold to adhere to. Is that correct?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Yes , the mouthpiece must be silver plated 1st before applying the Gold Plating
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There needs to be a barrier layer between gold and brass. Otherwise, the gold will diffuse into the brass and "disappear". I had this happen with a rhodium plate on a mouthpiece. It took a couple of decades, but now the mouthpiece looks like it was never plated (except for a couple of whitish wisps on corners).

Barrier layers can be silver or nickel. Silver is preferred on brass because it is closer in hardness to the brass and thus will not tend to flake.

You need a significant barrier layer to work. The normal silver plating thickness is usually good enough. Generally 100 microinches (2.5 micron).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Yes, the mouthpiece must first silver plated. I have plated 7 mouthpieces with different timbre of gold. From yellow to deep rosegold timbre. Also my Helmut Voigt alto trombone. The bell in a light redish gold. The rest of the instrument in silver. Over the silver i have plated Palladium, so their is no oxidation. If i have time, i will post some pics.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

heinzgries wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:48 pm Yes, the mouthpiece must first silver plated. I have plated 7 mouthpieces with different timbre of gold. From yellow to deep rosegold timbre. Also my Helmut Voigt alto trombone. The bell in a light redish gold. The rest of the instrument in silver. Over the silver i have plated Palladium, so their is no oxidation. If i have time, i will post some pics.
That would be interesting! I'd also be interested in knowing how the plating resists over time.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Many platers will automatically put nickel under gold, but that is the worst thing you can do to a mouthpiece.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:59 pm Many platers will automatically put nickel under gold, but that is the worst thing you can do to a mouthpiece.
Why?
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Which why?
Why they do it - it's very shiny and looks good.
Why you shouldn't do it - most people become sensitive to nickel so when the gold wears off you're in trouble. Also it's very difficult to remove the nickel if you want to get rid of it and do it right with silver.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:29 am Which why?
Why you shouldn't do it - most people become sensitive to nickel so when the gold wears off you're in trouble. Also it's very difficult to remove the nickel if you want to get rid of it and do it right with silver.

Thanks for both responses :-)
So what's the right way of doing it?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

SwissTbone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:40 am
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:29 am Which why?

Thanks for both responses :-)
So what's the right way of doing it?
Silver plating first. Gold second if I'm reading Doug's post correctly.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

correct. But first you must polish the mouthpiece to a high gloss and degrease it.
The shine does not come from the gold plating, but from the properties of the substrate. If this is mat, the gold plating will also look mat.
Last edited by heinzgries on Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

heinzgries wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:10 amcorrect
Heinz, can you control how thick the plating is becomes with this method?
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

not realy. This is only measurable with x-ray technology.if a closed layer is optically created, I go 1-2 more times over the mouthpiece with the gold electrolyte
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Heinz is probably using a procedure called "brush plating" which is a way to touch up spots of bad plating. You don't have as much control over the thickness, which is a function of the amperage, voltage, and time which in turn becomes a function of the geometry of the part to be plated. What Doug uses (and what is normally done to mouthpieces) is tank plating where the mouthpiece is submerged in a solution and the voltage and amperage is carefully controlled to compensate for the geometry. Tank plating also results in a brighter and more uniform coating.

As to silver versus nickel as the barrier layer: I mentioned above that nickel is a relatively stiff plating, put on a soft brass underlayer with a soft gold coat above. The mouthpiece is subject to vibration, which can exacerbate the differences in hardness between brass and nickel resulting in flaking and adhesion failure between nickel and gold. Silver is closer in hardness to brass and gold and provides a better barrier layer.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Bruce is right.
I can also make a little tank plating, if i put the kathode on the mouthpiece and dip it into a small cup with goldelelektrolyd. Then dip the anode into the cup beside the mouthpiece. 5-6 V and let it in for a few minutes.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

It is my understanding that every plating alloy has a very specific voltage at which it plates and bonds best with the brass or plating layer that is beneath it. I don't believe the voltage is the same for nickel, silver and gold plating. Exact voltage control for each alloy is not achieved by many people who do brush plating. This is one of the reasons that brush plating does not last long for many do-it-yourself folks. Another reason that plating does not hold is lack of proper preparation and degreasing of the metals.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Absolutely right, Brian. The proper voltage for each metal is different (although not different for each substrate -- adhesion is a function of surface preparation. Some metals require a rough surface to adhere and others work on a smooth surface.). If the voltage is too low, nothing plates. If the voltage is too high, a very rough coating results. And the regulation has to be within 1/10 of a volt.

There is quite a science to plating, which is why there are places that specialize in that process, such as Anderson Plating. In my history of Printed Circuit Board manufacture, I had to be familiar with plating of copper, nickel (our barrier layer for gold contacts), and gold. Each plating line consisted of several baths (cleaners, etchers, low concentration high voltage "strike" plate, and full plate). And lots of analysis to keep the baths working in proper order.

Also, there are limits to what can be plated. Only some alloys can be plated, and not all metals. Some materials need to be applied using some other form, like flame coating. Also, the economics of tank plating limit the ability to plate any metal. Some metals use extremely toxic solutions (like gold), some metals use solutions severely regulated by pollution regulations (like chromium).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:49 pm This is one of the reasons that brush plating does not last long for many do-it-yourself folks. Another reason that plating does not hold is lack of proper preparation and degreasing of the metals.
that may be true for many hobbyists, but i'm very thorough. I polish the surface to a high shine with a polishing machine. Then it is thoroughly degreased. During work I wear disposable gloves that are often changed. The 25 A power supply is adjustable between 2.5 and 15 V. For example, silver needs max. 3 V, gold between 5.5 and 7.5 V. For each electrolyte there is its own cup and its own brush. I also use different electrodes. For silver stainless steel, for gold graphite.
The optical results are great. The shelf life will only become apparent over time.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

here are two pics from my plating session. The first, Helmut Voigt alto, bell rosegold plated, tuning slide in gold and the rest in silver. The second pic, mouthpiece rosegold, rim gold.

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Looks good! Nice left handed Alto!

The counter weight looks like it would get in the way of my neck, but it looks unique and cool!
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:21 am Looks good! Nice left handed Alto!

The counter weight looks like it would get in the way of my neck, but it looks unique and cool!
its a bit behind the neck. There is enough room. And my neck is not small :biggrin:
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

Any update on how the plating is holding up?
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

jbeatenbough wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:43 am Any update on how the plating is holding up?
to this day everything still looks great

Return to “Mouthpieces”