DE mpc question

Bach5G

DE mpc question

Post by Bach5G »

How to separate the shank from the cup when they’re stuck?
harrisonreed

Re: DE mpc question

Post by harrisonreed »

There is a knut shaped area on the shank where it meets the cup. You can put a rubber jar opener on that with some pliers or a wrench, and another rubber jar opener on the cup. Twist in opposite directions, but if it's really stuck on there, maybe spray WD40 first.

Wash it really well afterwards. It's not recommended, but I grease the threads with ChapStick. They say the chapstick attracts dust and contaminants. Haven't had that problem, and you can degrease the threads with alcohol. Then apply fresh ChapStick each time. I know for sure that it will be non toxic, rather than using some grease that I have no idea.
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

I use teflon thread tape on the threads.

I also loosen them off every time I finish playing.

It helps.
Elow

Post by Elow »

You could try penetrating oil
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Gentle taps on the side of a wooden table will help to loosen the parts. Many gentle taps are better than a few large bangs.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I do none of those things. The hex is there to use a box-end wrench. If it's really stuck, hit the opposite end of the wrench to use impact, which will loosen it. Just hold it in your hand to do that, no need to use any kind of rubber grip. NEVER put vice-grips or pliers on any part of a mouthpiece. If the rim is stuck, hit it with a wood or rawhide mallet. Except a Lexan rim - that can cause internal cracks.

I have a PDF of instructions that I can email. It's posted on the old Forum and guess you can find in in the archive.

If one is really stuck tight, send it to me and I'll loosen it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I was wondering about the Lexan.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Lexan expands with heat, so probably dipping it in very hot water would make it a bit easier to get off. Lexan is safe up to at least 275.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

I take two strap wrenches (one on the cup, one on the shank), comes apart every time.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/ca ... _21782.jpg
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I have gotten a Lexan rim that has been stuck off by putting a small amount of water in a pan or pot (only enough to get the rim wet) and then by heating it up, and placing the rim down on it. Remove and then twist with a rag or glove to get it off. It works everytime, including on the rim that had been stuck on for over a year and a half
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3

Return to “Mouthpieces”