Laskey 63D and other odd size Laskey pieces

mrdeacon

Laskey 63D and other odd size Laskey pieces

Post by mrdeacon »

Hi guys!

With the Laskey site down it's hard to find some of this info...

But does anyone know anything about the Laskey 63D? Is it a 3G sized piece?...

The only odd size I know of is the 90D... Any other weird sized Laskey pieces out there?

Thanks!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
GabrielRice

Re: Laskey 63D and other odd size Laskey pieces

Post by GabrielRice »

Laskey's numbering system is logical. Put a decimal place in between the two numbers and a 2 in front of them. That's the size of the inner diamater of the rim in mm. The cups of the large tenor and bass pieces are MD for medium-deep and D for deep.

So the 85MD bass piece is 28.5mm rim size - basically the same as a Schilke 59 or a Doug Elliott 112. MD is a shallower cup than the 90D - 29.0mm, like a Schilke 60, with a deep cup (that actually doesn't have quite as much volume as the Schilke I think).

57MD is roughly equivalent to a 5G; 59D more or less a 4G.

So, yes, a 63D would be more or less a 3G size mouthpiece. I don't remember ever seeing one or him making it available, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody convinced him to make one.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Perfect! Just what I needed to know Gabe.

I have a friend who has the opportunity to purchase a 63D! I saw it with my own eyes. I'll take a picture of it if I get a chance. Looked like a 3Gish thing so glad for you to confirm my guess is correct.

You know the one 90D prototype I played and owned was definitely not 29mm. It feft like a 1 1/8th or like a 112.5 or 113 size rim on the face. It was noticeably smaller than the 93D and that particular piece wasn't my cup of tea. I wished I had tried a couple more when they were readily available!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The only thing I could find on google was a listing at Hickey's music center. So they do exist. Probably small order. I don't know many people using 3g-2g size mouthpieces. They are some what "in between" a tenor and bass with regards to cup volume. I do know tenor players using that rim size, but with smaller cups.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

mrdeacon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 pm Perfect! Just what I needed to know Gabe.

I have a friend who has the opportunity to purchase a 63D! I saw it with my own eyes. I'll take a picture of it if I get a chance. Looked like a 3Gish thing so glad for you to confirm my guess is correct.

You know the one 90D prototype I played and owned was definitely not 29mm. It feft like a 1 1/8th or like a 112.5 or 113 size rim on the face. It was noticeably smaller than the 93D and that particular piece wasn't my cup of tea. I wished I had tried a couple more when they were readily available!
Laskeys tend to feel a little smaller than their spec I think. I also tried a 90D at one point, but I was used to a 93D at the time, and it felt uncomfortably tight.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 am The only thing I could find on google was a listing at Hickey's music center. So they do exist. Probably small order. I don't know many people using 3g-2g size mouthpieces. They are some what "in between" a tenor and bass with regards to cup volume. I do know tenor players using that rim size, but with smaller cups.
That size works pretty well for euph actually! My friend is a tuba player and it'll be a good fit for him. His mouthpiece is going to be better than his horn by a mile!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT

Return to “Mouthpieces”