AL vs G vs Schilke cup comparison?

pompatus

AL vs G vs Schilke cup comparison?

Post by pompatus »

Hello, all!

I don’t have a fortune to spend on several different mouthpieces to make the comparison for myself, so I’m hoping some of you guys are able to help fill in the blanks.

What are the general differences in the characteristics of a Denis Wick A cup vs Bach G cup vs Schilke no-letter cup? Another way of asking, might be to say how does the volume and shape of a DW 5AL differ from a Bach 5G and those from a Schilke 51? How do those differences translate into sound and feel?

Many thanks, for any information available!
Doug Elliott

Re: AL vs G vs Schilke cup comparison?

Post by Doug Elliott »

In general they are progessively deeper in this order, but it depends on which specific size and of course the usual inconsistency.

Bach G cup
Schilke no letter
Wick A cup
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kevbach33

Re: AL vs G vs Schilke cup comparison?

Post by Kevbach33 »

I've trialed a 51. For me, it presented a "symphonic" type of sound: Enveloping, high overtones diminished, open feel. It wasn't the sound I was after. Doug's equivalent to a standard 51 cup is his H.

In comparison, a 51C4 and a Bach 5GS (which i ended up purchasing) have more of a "band" sound type: compact, pretty balanced overtone spectrum, some resistance built in. Honestly, this depth (about an F cup in Doug's system?) is quite versatile and could fit in a lot of places. The rims of these are a bit flatter in profile than the normal 51.

I'd imagine a 5G proper (Doug's G cup in style) would split the difference between the two above and the 51, leaning "symphonic." It's rim shape should be like the 5GS. (However, idiot me didn't test one when doing comparisons among the three above to validate that hypothesis... :shuffle: )

For the Wick, if you can stand the quite flat (flatter than the others) rim contour, by all means try the 5AL, but see if you can also test a 5BL (shallower) and a 5ABL (different throat and backbore from 5AL) with it.

Your mileage, of course, will vary.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C

Return to “Mouthpieces”