Mt vernon 15c

Elow

Mt vernon 15c

Post by Elow »

Found this in a rental king 606 case and replaced it with one of my bach 6 1/2 AL’s. What’s this good for or should i just replate and sell?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FOSSIL

Re: Mt vernon 15c

Post by FOSSIL »

Someone will have taken the original King mouthpiece and replaced it with the MV 15c.... because nobody uses a 15c MV or not. Stick it on your face and think if you want to use it.... don't get it plated, you will never see your money back. I'll trade you for a 61/2AL...not because I want a 15c...just because my 6 1/2AL is pants.
See how it works ?

Chris
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

it might be a very nice option for an alto mouthpiece. i would be willing to buy it and find out
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Elow

Post by Elow »

FOSSIL wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 am Someone will have taken the original King mouthpiece and replaced it with the MV 15c.... because nobody uses a 15c MV or not. Stick it on your face and think if you want to use it.... don't get it plated, you will never see your money back. I'll trade you for a 61/2AL...not because I want a 15c...just because my 6 1/2AL is pants.
See how it works ?

Chris
Got it, ive heard of people using them on bass trumpets so i guess i’ll hold on to it until i get a bass trumpet.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

From the Bach mouthpiece manual:

Model .. Depth ... Approx. .... Rim ........ Description
No. ..... of Cup ...Cup Dia .... Shape ......
15C ... Medium .. 24.40 mm . Med wide .. Medium shallow cup produces a clear, lively tone.
............................................... Players with shallow thin lips or weak embouchures will find it helpful.

This is very small for a modern trombone mouthpiece, and hardly used these days.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Elow wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am
FOSSIL wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:19 am Someone will have taken the original King mouthpiece and replaced it with the MV 15c.... because nobody uses a 15c MV or not. Stick it on your face and think if you want to use it.... don't get it plated, you will never see your money back. I'll trade you for a 61/2AL...not because I want a 15c...just because my 6 1/2AL is pants.
See how it works ?

Chris
Got it, ive heard of people using them on bass trumpets so i guess i’ll hold on to it until i get a bass trumpet.
I've got a bass trumpet... and a New York 15....they don't really jive together. The 15 has an odd rim... quite flat and thin. It has a nice sound...very compact and quite dark. The 15c will be brighter. They are really small.

Chris
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Elow, you are at the start of a long journey which many of us have been on before you...every journey is unique...and fun. Enjoy learning and growing.

Chris
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I brought a 15C to ATW one year and tried it on altos. Some that had squirrelly intonation on what I'd been using played much better on that 15C.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

"Players with shallow thin lips or weak embouchures will find it helpful."

Wow.... talk about being your own worst critics, Bach!

I have a NY 15A that works amazingly with my alto. I now use a different piece, since the alto wants a much more gentle backbore for intonation, but the sound is incredible. Also, FWIW, I have thick lips and (used to have) a very strong embouchure, and the 15 rim was more taxing to play than a larger rim (12/12C). It just gave me a more penetrating, focused sound on the instrument, with kind of a velvet wrapping.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
PhilGray

Post by PhilGray »

I never know if a new piece works until I've played it for a few months or a year. I tried a 15 Bach once after I hadn't played for a couple of years and It felt great right away, I was hitting high F's with 0 chops. I doubt low notes would be warm enough tho. The owner was a trumpet player who doubled on bone on the same gig, so he wanted a diameter that was closer to his trumpet piece. I''m curious how a 15c would work with a bass trumpet, or a soprano bone.

Return to “Mouthpieces”