Mouthpiece choice in 1.5 range

claf

Mouthpiece choice in 1.5 range

Post by claf »

Hello,

I am currently using a Marcinkiewicz 3 on my bass trombone.
I would like to try a mouthpiece in the 1.5 range and have pre-selected a few models :
- Stork 1.5 (Light and Heavy)
- Bob Reeves Mr. Bass Trombone
- Griego GP
- Symington 1.5
- Schilke Bill Reichenbach (which I can't find it for now in Europe)
- Bach Artisan 1.5G

The three that interest me the more are Reeves, Griego and Symington.

Any advice/info (comfort, ease of play, anything) on these mouthpieces would help me a lot, so do not hesitate to share your views on them !
Thanks
Gaudet bass (like Courtois 502)
Adams TB1 Open Flow dual bore tenor
Blessing .508 straight tenor with rose brass bell
tmarco97

Re: Mouthpiece choice in 1.5 range

Post by tmarco97 »

Hello!

About a year ago I was playing a standard Bach 1.5G, but decided to buy a Griego GP to try out and it was a very welcome change for me. It did not feel like a huge transition, but it did feel a little bigger in terms of rim size, so there's that.

I haven't tried any of the other mouthpieces you listed, but I'd love to try the Symington as I have read great things about it!
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

The Reichenbach specs put it at 1.25 not 1.5.

The Symington is a great piece, I use his 2. I tried the 1.5 but couldn't settle on it. His 2 is bigger than a standard Bach 2.

Bill Symington is on here (islander) & is a lovely guy so will happily answer any questions you have & has a generous returns policy.

Chris Stearn (fossil) let me have a quick blow on the Artisan in a lesson a couple of years ago & it wasn't great - he wasn't a fan either.

There is someone on here selling a Mr Bass - you'd have to search the mouthpiece for sale section to find it. He's in Hong Kong so it may take a while to be delivered.

Ross
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

The Reeves Mr. Bass is bigger than a Bach 1.5, I’d say it’s even closer to the 1 1/4 range. I had one that I’ve since sold, and liked it, but always found it too big. I play the Symington 2 and love that.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

The Symington pieces are great!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:35 am The Reichenbach specs put it at 1.25 not 1.5.

The Symington is a great piece, I use his 2. I tried the 1.5 but couldn't settle on it. His 2 is bigger than a standard Bach 2.

Bill Symington is on here (islander) & is a lovely guy so will happily answer any questions you have & has a generous returns policy.

Chris Stearn (fossil) let me have a quick blow on the Artisan in a lesson a couple of years ago & it wasn't great - he wasn't a fan either.

There is someone on here selling a Mr Bass - you'd have to search the mouthpiece for sale section to find it. He's in Hong Kong so it may take a while to be delivered.

Ross
Ross which version of the Symington 2 do you use?
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I initially had the brass then as I tend to do I got curious...I've been on the zirconium one for a few months now with no regrets.

Been on that since and recently sold the brass to one of Chris's students.

I'm trying really hard to not stray again but once the madness sets in keeping the beast in check is difficult!! 😁
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Try a Schilke 58 or a Yamaha 59
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

If you are wanting something a little bigger than the 3, why not try the Marcinkiewicz 1 1/2? Same rim with a deeper cup. Or go to the 1. It is listed as an oversize 1 1/2g. My go to.
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

The GP is in no way a 1.5 sized piece. It is a good 1 1/4/59 size. Also the Reichenbach is a 1 1/4 rim on a shallow cup and small throat/bore. In the 1.5 range I would say look into a Griego 2. It is actually a little bigger than a Bach 1.5 but still fits into that family.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I apologize in advance for this little rant relating to the previous few posts here.

I've noticed a lot of pieces described as "1-1/2G size" or "5G size" aren't at all. Lots of times people don't know the difference, but like the way they play BECAUSE THEY'RE LARGER. The "on steroids" label in reviews is a clue. The purchaser was deceived by the incorrect description and sometimes incorrect specs too. This even extends to Bach's own specs - almost all of those mouthpieces are actually bigger than they say.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Very fair point Doug. The Symington 1.5 started out as a simple copy of one of my Mt Vernon 1 1/2Gs but the shop messed up the rim. At Bill's requwst I reworked that piece back to the original profile but it ended up a fraction wider inside the rim. I still think it is a 1.5 but it does feel a tiny bit bigger than my favourite Bach, though that is on the small side. It came out as it's own character and a fine character at that...I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, though I can also say that the SB series Elliotts are very fine too.

Chris
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I have the Schilke Reichenbach mouthpiece. Terrific piece. It’s very efficient. Dillon Music sells them, I think.

Eddie Clark
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I use a Bach 1.5 when I have to go below F just under the staff. Gets the job done.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Both Doug and Chris give amazing advice in their posts. (Of course they do!)

Like Doug said... Most of the pieces on your list are larger if not much larger than a true 1 1/2G mouthpiece. Of the list, the Symington 1.5 and the Bach are the only ones even close to a true 1 1/2G, all of the others are either closer to 1 3/8 or 1 1/4 size.

In my experience, if you're looking for a solid 1.5 the Symington and an Elliott MB J cup setup are the best 1.5 sized pieces on the market. Both of these though are just a smidge bigger than a true 1 1/2G but they still retain the best qualities of a Bach 1 1/2G while being much easier to play. The Symington is the closest you can get to a Bach Mount Vernon 1.5 without spending $400+.

The Hammond 19BL and Greg Black 1 1/2G are both great but are much more modern takes on the 1 1/2G. I like the Elliott and Symington more.

I'll add this... because there isn't much info on the Mr.Bass pieces out there. The specs on the Mr.Bass call it a 1.5 sized piece but it's really much closer to a 1 3/8 sized piece. The inner diameter of the rim is larger and the rim is very round and feels larger on the face than the specs would make you think.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
claf

Post by claf »

Thank you for all your answers.
As I expected, it seems I'll be getting a Symington 1.5.
I was considering Doug's mouthpieces as well, but the shipping cost (and potential taxes) to Europe is a little dissuasive.
Gaudet bass (like Courtois 502)
Adams TB1 Open Flow dual bore tenor
Blessing .508 straight tenor with rose brass bell

Return to “Mouthpieces”