Small Shank Griego Alessi

Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Anyone have experience with these? I mean especially the cups- what would the cups compare to? I tend to doubt the small shank 'D' cups are as deep as the large shank 'D' cups, but maybe someone knows?
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Kdanielsen

Re: Small Shank Griego Alessi

Post by Kdanielsen »

They are much much shallower. I like them.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Bradleyhar

Post by Bradleyhar »

Looking to buy a small shank PT or RT 65. Gold is preferred but silver will work for the right price. If you have one please let me know. Thanks
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bradleyhar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am Looking to buy a small shank PT or RT 65. Gold is preferred but silver will work for the right price. If you have one please let me know. Thanks
This topic is asking questions about the product.

If you are looking to buy one, place a WTB ad in the Classifieds.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

I emailed Christian about this at one point and he said that the small cups are one size down from the big cups. Small D = Large C, Small C = Large B, etc.

To me, the small cups feel roughly 1 size up from Doug's same-letter cups in depth. So a small shank Alessi 7C would be like Doug's LT101D.

The small shank A cups are therefore like Doug's B cup, which combined with its very large throat makes them rather shrill in my experience, but very agile. Perhaps good for bass trumpet? The B or C cups would be more balanced-- I think a 7C or D would be close to a balanced 6 1/2AL type piece-- one could size up as necessary for his/her chops.

I hope this helps.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I ended up buying a 7D, and I would personally not want to go shallower for what it is (I might even go one deeper if they made it).

I think playing Doug's pieces I can get a pretty middle of the road sound, where the Griego is definitely on the more 'legit' side of the spectrum. It works well for what it is, but I'm thinking it would be better with a 1.01 rim instead of what is closer to a 1.00. Maybe I'll have to have it chopped for screw rims.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8

Return to “Mouthpieces”