alto horn mp?

Mikebmiller

alto horn mp?

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am thinking of getting an alto horn just to have a bit of fun learning something new while locked down. Does anyone out there in trombone land ever mess with playing one of those? My biggest concern is the mouthpiece size. I play a big rim for bone and it looks like the biggest alto mp out there is about a 19 mm rim, which is not that much bigger than a trumpet mp. I tried to play trumpet for a while with less than spectacular results.
BGuttman

Re: alto horn mp?

Post by BGuttman »

Alto horn mouthpiece are pretty small compared to trombone mouthpieces. Shanks are close to trombone size but cups look more like trumpet cups.

I have an Eb "bass Flugel" that I use a shaved down Conn 3 trombone mouthpiece on.

If you are used to large rims, going to a trumpet, horn, or Alto horn may not be for you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Yeah, maybe not. I have a friend at local music store that said he could bring in a Packer alto for me to try with no obligation to buy, so I will give that a shot. I wonder if one of those Chasons crossover mps would work.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I make shanks for alto horns. It's almost the same as a trumpet shank, and the same as an Olds F alto trombone.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

So Doug, would one of of your shanks combined with an alto bone sized cup work OK on an alto horn? Seems like if I can play an alto trombone with a trombone sized cup, then the alto horn should work.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Yes, I think so. I have an alto horn that I have played that way, but I'll try it again to make sure.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”