Looking for a new mouthpiece!

Kevssterr

Looking for a new mouthpiece!

Post by Kevssterr »

I'm currently in the market for a new mouthpiece to replace my Schilke 53 small shank. About 2 months I bought a Bach A47 with a Edwards TBC-N Slide to replace my Bach 36BO for college (Music Ed Major). I've been using a mouthpiece adapter with it and it's gotten the job done, but I know that I should get a large shank mouthpiece. I even used the adapter in my transfer auditions :roll: , which wasn't the best idea. My preferred style of music is definitely geared towards classical playing, and more specifically solo playing. I really like my Schilke 53, but it feel as if there something out there that's better and will help my improve as a player. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that has a similar rim feel to the 53, offers more efficiency in my playing, delivers a warm sound, but can brighten up when I need it to. Side note I'm not a fan smaller rimmed mouthpieces, but i'm not opposed to them entirely. I played on Bach 5GS for a while, but It definitely wasn't for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Thank You!
BGuttman

Re: Looking for a new mouthpiece!

Post by BGuttman »

What would be wrong with a large shank 53?

You might want to schedule a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott. He will suggest a variety of mouthpieces including his own (but not exclusively).

Also, see if your prof has a collection of mouthpieces to try. Lots of other options in your size (Bach 3G, Warburton 7, Wick 3AL, etc.)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Mouthpieces”