Giddings and Webster euphonium mouthpieces

Adria

Giddings and Webster euphonium mouthpieces

Post by Adria »

Hello, my name is Adrià Cisneros. I'm interested in buying an euphonium mouthpiece and I want to know more about Giddings and Webster euphonium mouthpieces. My goal is to get a nice big sound with many armonics. I have this questions.

How is the feeling of the stainless metal?

What's your opinion about it?

Which one is the most suitable for my Adams E3 euphonium? Carbonaria maybe?

I know that it's a trombone chat but many trombonist play the euphonium too.

Thanks.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Giddings and Webster euphonium mouthpieces

Post by Matt K »

Steel feels a lot like gold to me. Very slippery. Too slippery for my tastes, I go way the other direction with lexan rims. Giddings pieces generally have really big throats so if that's your cup of tea you'll probably like them. I had a steel and a titanium piece threaded and generally find them, on a rim I am familiar with, to be too big which actually feels "stuffy" to me.

On Euph, I tend to prefer Doug's pieces personally. I have a Euph series with the same rim size that I use on tenor, 104N in lexan with a Euph K underpart. Plays much more in tune for me than anything else I've tried but my Euph is a non-compensating King so I'm possibly more sensitive to that than someone on a compensating euph.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

It depends on what sound you're looking for.

The Giddings stuff will get you a nice huge dark sound which will work well in a lot of wind ensembles but if you're looking for something to use in a British Brass Band or even solo stuff there's a good chance it'll be too dark and/or tuba like.

Is the E3 the larger or smaller Adams?

I'm very much in the old school British Brass Band camp... can't go wrong with a Wick 4AL, Wick Steven Meid stuff or the Alliance DC series. I use my regular Elliott XT setup on Euph. Smaller than what most people would use but whenever I play Euph it's primarily as a "solo" instrument or in Brass Band so it works well!

Stainless steel is awesome but the feedback is pretty different... beware of that... I couldn't stand it the different sound I heard behind the bell. The sound in front of the bell isn't any different than brass.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Sweaty

Post by Sweaty »

I use a Giddings Kadja. It is very similar to a Schilke 51D, which I used for 30 years on a Willson 2900. I am a former student of Brian Bowman. I like stainless. I believe the harder material makes it a bit more responsive. I did a back-to-back comparison with the 51D infron of many students and music colleagues. Their conclusion was that the stainless had a slightly clearer sound.
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

Another (at least for me!) fantasic euphonium mouthpiece is the Yamaha 53H. Big sound and lots of harmonics. It seems you can get a new one for less than $50.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Just an observation: of the roughly eighteen to two dozen primarily or exclusively euphers I know who switched to stainless steel mpcs at some point over the last 10-12 years, all of them switched back to brass (or in three instances, switched to bronze) mpcs after 2-3 years.

Make of that what you will.

Return to “Mouthpieces”