Suggestions on Tuba-Mouthpiece?

Julian

Suggestions on Tuba-Mouthpiece?

Post by Julian »

Hi!

I just purchased an old Yamaha 201 Bb-Tuba with 3 top-action-valves. Main use will be doubling in Bigband/Jazz-Large-Ensemble contexts.

Since the former owner didn't want to sell it with the Helleberg 7b, I'm now searching for a good mouthpiece that will work fine for inmediate switching from the Storck 1 1/4 on the basstrombone.

Do you have Tuba-doubling? Anyone with experienced advices on this topic?

Thanks in advance!
Julian
BGuttman

Re: Suggestions on Tuba-Mouthpiece?

Post by BGuttman »

There have been a few topics on this.

As a trombonist and tuba doubler, I tend to use smallish tuba mouthpieces. One tuba is a little smaller than yours -- a Conn Worcester Eb from 1892. It takes a contrabass shank mouthpiece and I use a Marcinkiewicz 105 or 107.

For standard tuba shanks, you could try a Bach 32E. I also like Helleberg style mouthpieces and have a Mirafone H2 that I use on my Mirafone F tuba when I haven't used it in a long time. Schilke makes a Helleberg style (actually several -- I have one labeled Helleberg which I believe is a 66; bigger than the Mirafone H2). You might also look for a Kellyberg (Kelly plastic mouthpieces). I'm sure there is a Klier comparable to the ones I have listed.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

For tuba mouthpieces, I feel that the throat is going to be a lot more important in working with any particular instrument than the rim size. The 7B may have a somewhat smaller rim, but it has a much larger throat than the 120S, which can make it harder to work with a BBb tuba.

That tuba would probably have come stock with a Yamaha 67. They have a 66, 65, and 64 which are smaller, with the same type of throat. Yamaha MPCS are also pretty economically priced if you are looking for a new one.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'm using a Denis Wick Heritage 1L on a Conn 10H Bb tuba. It works great!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Mouthpieces”