Here we go again

bigbandbone

Here we go again

Post by bigbandbone »

I'm still looking for a Remington shank mouthpiece for my 72H. I had ordered one from a well known maker but after many production delays and problems he refunded my payment.

So, I'd like something 1 1/2 G in size, but with a V cup. What mouthpiece Makers should I be looking at?

I cannot find the last thread I started about it!
norbie2018

Re: Here we go again

Post by norbie2018 »

Would stork be an option?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Older (long shank) Schilke mouthpieces will fit your Conn. The 58 is about 11/2 G size. Many of us like the slightly larger 59.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I still don't even fully understand what a V cup is haha
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:47 pm I still don't even fully understand what a V cup is haha
It's a cup with a faster taper. A C cup is shaped like a bowl. A V cup is shaped more like a funnel.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:47 pm I still don't even fully understand what a V cup is haha
"V-cup" mouthpiece have more funnel-shaped (conical) interiors than mouthpieces which are more rounded (cup-shaped or basin-shaped) at the bottom of the interior. Easiest to see in cross-section drawings.

The differences are often subtle – as may be the effects of the interior mouthpiece shape.

For more detail, see:

https://hub.yamaha.com/guide-to-brass-m ... -and-rims/

https://storkcustom.com/the-basics-of-r ... cup-shape/
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I know Doug makes that particular type of shank ("Conn") and has also done V shaped pieces in the past. He'd be my go-to for this type of thing because I'd want to A/B test something like that against a different shape cup.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What you might do is get the V cup Ferguson 1.5 and a DE Remington shank. Then, send them to Bob Reeves do they can cut the shank and thread the Ferguson throat to take the DE shank.

I think Griego also makes V cup bass bone pieces (Taylor? Pagano?) You could do the same thing with
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 pm What you might do is get the V cup Ferguson 1.5 and a DE Remington shank. Then, send them to Bob Reeves do they can cut the shank and thread the Ferguson throat to take the DE shank.
Don't even need to make it that complicated. Reeves does the "sleeves" thing so they can actually convert any Morse taper piece to a Remington shank for a fairly nominal fee.

It's like $100ish I think for the sleeve and the work.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I think it costs around $55 to cut and thread. I guess it depends on how big a gap or step the sleeve makes. Probably negligible!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

My cups are more V than most. If you really want a truly V cup I can do it as a custom, I've done it before. But I'll tell you now it sounds like a French horn.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I like the Ferguson V, and it can be had with a Brown & Sharp taper, (that's Remington, right??) . It's 1 1/2g-ish in size, but gets a clearer sound with maybe more pronounced articulation. The Ferguson L is a 1 1/4g piece with similar characteristics, but definitely bigger. It's my preferred bass piece at the moment.
https://www.hornguys.com/products/fergu ... mouthpiece
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

norbie2018 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:30 pm Would stork be an option?
I had Stork make me a couple BT1.5s with Remington shanks once. They only took a couple weeks to arrive and, of course, were perfectly done.

I also have an older Schilke 59 from the era when the Remington shank was the standard on all of their mouthpieces. I haven't used it for years. PM me if you'd like to buy it, it's in great shape. .

Return to “Mouthpieces”