Bach 5G to Conn 5G to Bousefield V5 to ???

Blenky

Bach 5G to Conn 5G to Bousefield V5 to ???

Post by Blenky »

Looking for some advice or direction where to go next!

I recently moved onto a Conn 88H and at the same time purchased a Bousefield V5.

I’ve played on a Bach 5G for 25 years and found the Conn 5G that came with the 88H to be very pleasant, so used it for about 6 months.

I tried the Bousefield but initially found that my tone suffered so almost immediately stopped using it. However, I recently tried again and found that my range and stamina on the V5 seemed to increase significantly (I’ve never hit a high F before!) , so I’ve persisted and am pleased with the results, especially the increased range.

Now to my real question! Although I’m pleased with the increase in range of the V5 if I pop the 5G back in I immediately notice a much richer and warm sounding tonal quality which I greatly prefer.

I’m wondering if a V4 might be better as it seems to have similar physical dimensions to the 5G? Can someone help me narrow the field when I next visit the shop to find a MP which offers the range I like from the V5 but with the sound quality of the 5G?

I have a pretty full set of chops which is probably why the V5 seems more roomy and flexible. Will be playing mostly first chair in wind band, with some brass band and orchestra once a year or so.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
tbonesullivan

Re: Bach 5G to Conn 5G to Bousefield V5 to ???

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would email Griego mouthpieces directly, and see what they say. Christan is usually pretty responsive, and may have some answers as to why you are experiencing the mouthpiece the way you do.

The V5 really seems to be a "lead" mouthpiece, from the description: "The V5 for me is an indulgence. It has an almost turbocharged high register, projection, and clarity combined with the sweetest of sounds. Frankly I can not play this mouthpiece without laughing with sheer delight. I recommend this mouthpiece to people playing first trombone in brass bands, or those playing a lot of light playing, or crossover jazz."

Maybe look at the "O" series instead of the V series?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”