Monette

Mv2541

Monette

Post by Mv2541 »

I just got my hands on a TT6S1 and it might be the most incredible piece of gear I have ever played. I don't have to blow weirdly in the high range like every other piece; I can just play up there like I play in the middle range. For me it is really like those videos he puts up; the octaves line up and the sound up high opens up.

I know some people poo poo them because of the price, but does anyone else feel they really open up their playing? Especially past high Db, where for some reason there has always been a sort of 'break' for me.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
JLivi

Re: Monette

Post by JLivi »

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. I was kind of waiting for a conversation to get started before I chimed in. Anyway...

I totally agree with you. I'm a big fan of the Monette's. I recently purchased a TT6S1 just to compare it to my AR Resonance. Personally, the 6 (25.4mm) sized mouthpiece is a little big, so I keep going back to my AR, but I feel like both mouthpieces are light years better than anything else I've played.

I also have that break around Db, and when you play correctly, both mouthpieces let you easily go beyond that. I just need to get my AR gold plated, and I feel like it's going to better because i like the size better. It's a 25.10 by the way, equivalent to a 6 3/4.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

JLivi wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 am I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. I was kind of waiting for a conversation to get started before I chimed in. Anyway...

I totally agree with you. I'm a big fan of the Monette's. I recently purchased a TT6S1 just to compare it to my AR Resonance. Personally, the 6 (25.4mm) sized mouthpiece is a little big, so I keep going back to my AR, but I feel like both mouthpieces are light years better than anything else I've played.

I also have that break around Db, and when you play correctly, both mouthpieces let you easily go beyond that. I just need to get my AR gold plated, and I feel like it's going to better because i like the size better. It's a 25.10 by the way, equivalent to a 6 3/4.
I totally agree the 6 size is a little big, and I am wondering if the 11 would be too small or not. Also really interesting the AR also let's you get past 'the break' easily as well. Is the throat on the AR big like the Monette?

I'll take it to some rehearsals next week and see if the bigger rim is tiring to play.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Mv2541 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am I totally agree the 6 size is a little big, and I am wondering if the 11 would be too small or not. Also really interesting the AR also let's you get past 'the break' easily as well. Is the throat on the AR big like the Monette?

I'll take it to some rehearsals next week and see if the bigger rim is tiring to play.
I've thought the same thing about the 11. I think that would be a little too small for me, seeing as how for most of the gigs I play I'm either up high or need to cover a bass figure. So I need the flexibility. The AR 25.10 is great for that. I played a 7C sized piece for over a decade and just couldn't get the bass line stuff to work. And then I moved to a 6.5 size and couldn't get my range how I wanted it. I should mention that this is all on a King 3b

The throat I play on is 6.00mm, but I also know that AR makes 6.5mm
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)

Return to “Mouthpieces”