Symington 2

Kyle4261

Symington 2

Post by Kyle4261 »

Proud owner of a brand new Symington 2 mouthpiece. These are on a different level... great focus and density to the sound plus it’s really comfortable to play! Low Cs and Bs just fall out of the instrument! Credit to Bill for a great new addition and brilliant customer service!
Bass trombone with the Hallé Orchestra, Manchester UK
Instagram/Twitter: kyle4261
Tbarh

Re: Symington 2

Post by Tbarh »

Great... Congrats!.. Have You compared to a Symington 1.5?

Trond
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Did you get it in brass or zirconium?
Kyle4261

Post by Kyle4261 »

Tbarh wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 pm Great... Congrats!.. Have You compared to a Symington 1.5?

Trond
I’ve came from a 2G so only tried that one. From what I’ve heard the 1.5 is a game changer also!
Kyle4261

Post by Kyle4261 »

Slidemo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm Did you get it in brass or zirconium?
Brass
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I've had mine for a week now....got it from Bill via Chris.

The difference between this and a standard 2 is huge...much better in every way.

I had put a post up on the Symington 1.5 thread as I had been using that for a few weeks but was struggling to make it work for ME - absolutely nothing against the piece itself - then I got his 2 and after taking it to a band rehearsal there was no going back.

If you're a fan of a 2G size then give it shot.

Similarly if you're 1.5G size person (or just very curious about something so new on the market) then try that.

Bill is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

Ross
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Kyle4261 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:00 pm
Tbarh wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 pm Great... Congrats!.. Have You compared to a Symington 1.5?

Trond
I’ve came from a 2G so only tried that one. From what I’ve heard the 1.5 is a game changer also!
I am also coming from a 2G, but the 1.5 won me over.. Since i also play tenor (with a 2G sized rim) i would have to consider the new 2 as a contender.. Really curious to what this ingenious rim design can do to a 2G sized piece..

Trond
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What is unique about the rim profile?
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:37 am What is unique about the rim profile?
Unique.... I don't know if it is unique, but it is very good in terms of comfort and performance. Bill Symington is a 2G player, so the 2 is very much his personal project and the result shows how this insider knowledge makes a difference. The more I play the 1.5, the more I love it and having tried the 2 I am sure that it will develop a big following among players who like this size.
These started as Mt Vernon copies but developed into something more... a bit of skill, a bit of luck...
and before you ask, I have no financial interest in this project.

Chris
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

Hi Chris and everyone,

I’m very curious about these mouthpieces! Admittedly I’m playing on equipment a notch larger than 1.5 (currently on a Benge 1-1/4H and Phil Teele Marcinkiwiekz when I want to go even brighter), but I’d be happy to down size a bit, if the piece is right. My question is: do you feel these are on the “larger” end of 1.5? I know there was a ton of variation in the early 1.5’s, and I even heard a rumor that the Benge 1-1/4H was modeled after a MV 1.5 with an open throat. I’m someone who needs a bit more room than most 1.5 sized rims....

Also, what qualities does the zirconium impart to the piece?

Many thanks, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum!
islander

Post by islander »

ngrinder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm

My question is: do you feel these are on the “larger” end of 1.5? I know there was a ton of variation in the early 1.5’s, and I even heard a rumor that the Benge 1-1/4H was modeled after a MV 1.5 with an open throat. I’m someone who needs a bit more room than most 1.5 sized rims....

Hi,

The #1.5 design is derived from an older Mount Vernon with a 27.3mm cup diameter, as I measure it anyway. I have two more modern Bachs that I measure at 27mm and 27.2mm respectively. How representative they are of a "true" 1.5 I couldn't say, there probably isn't such a thing anyway. In any event, when considering Bach mouthpiece taxonomy at face value, 27.3mm lies midway between 1.5 and 1.25.

As for zirconium, other less partisan and more accomplished players than me may chime in differently, but it has a number of interesting properties. Firstly, it is noticeably more resonant than the same design in brass, and darker. Gives more feedback to the player, perhaps. I produce them in raw, unpolished zirconium as it was discovered that polishing them makes them less responsive - the result is a mouthpiece that feels like brushed steel against the lips. Some like that, some don't. Zirconium warms up almost instantly, and seems to stay warm for longer than brass. It is impervious to almost anything you could reasonably pit it against, and hypoallerenic so does not require plating (even if you could).

Hope that helps!

Bill
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

ngrinder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm Hi Chris and everyone,

I’m very curious about these mouthpieces! Admittedly I’m playing on equipment a notch larger than 1.5 (currently on a Benge 1-1/4H and Phil Teele Marcinkiwiekz when I want to go even brighter), but I’d be happy to down size a bit, if the piece is right. My question is: do you feel these are on the “larger” end of 1.5? I know there was a ton of variation in the early 1.5’s, and I even heard a rumor that the Benge 1-1/4H was modeled after a MV 1.5 with an open throat. I’m someone who needs a bit more room than most 1.5 sized rims....

To me, the Symington 1.5 does feel bigger than other 1.5 size mouthpieces... you might just like it.

Chris
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

FOSSIL wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 am
ngrinder wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm Hi Chris and everyone,

To me, the Symington 1.5 does feel bigger than other 1.5 size mouthpieces... you might just like it.

Chris
Nick Chris is right on spec with this description. Bill S is also a great guy to work with.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

Bill (and Bill and Chris!),

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Very helpful. I may be contacting you soon!
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I have the 3rd Symington 2 form the first batch! I've been waiting to get a chance to do a quick write up on the piece.

The dimensions of the mouthpiece are copied/inspired from an MV 2G I received from Joe Stanko. The original is a very wild and bombastic piece. That MV2G has a very dark and raspy tone and plays very open. The catch was... rim on the original 2G was incredibly difficult to play on, super duper crazy round.

Bill's piece oddly enough is very similar to an early Remington shank MV2G I revieced from a friend. Bill's piece has a fairly wide rim, which is super comfy. The piece is still open and very easy to control. Nice and warm tone. Plenty of colors like with Bill's 1.5. Again Bill struck gold and made a piece that sounds like a MV! Still, haven't found any other modern pieces that do that.

It's interesting that while the Symington 2 is very different from the original MV2G it ended up being very much an MV inspired piece and very similar to some other examples I've played.

I'm a huge fan and can heartily recommend it to anyone interested in a 2 sized piece.

The original MV2Gs are very different than modern 2Gs. Every MV2G I've gotten my hands on has been very open blowing, and compact sounding, but each one has had a radically different rim shape and weight to the piece. Bill once again takes the guesswork out of trying to find that perfect Mount Vernon piece whether it be a 1 1/2 or 2. He already made one!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Double post... sorry!

Bill also just sent me 1.5 in ZR to try out. Holy cow. It's absolutely amazing.

A while back Bill sent me a polished ZR 1.5 which I was not a fan of. I just didn't like the rim... These unpolished ones are a completely different ball game. If you have the dough to try out both please do!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

mrdeacon wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 am Double post... sorry!

A while back Bill sent me a polished ZR 1.5 which I was not a fan of. I just didn't like the rim... These unpolished ones are a completely different ball game. If you have the dough to try out both please do!
I didn't realize there'd be a difference in the rim profile between a polished piece and the non-polished version.
islander

Post by islander »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 am
mrdeacon wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 am Double post... sorry!

I didn't realize there'd be a difference in the rim profile between a polished piece and the non-polished version.
There isn't a difference, Bill, that's the weird thing. It's purely down to feel.

Return to “Mouthpieces”