Wasted a few hours testing 13 mouthpieces on bass

Burgerbob

Wasted a few hours testing 13 mouthpieces on bass

Post by Burgerbob »

And here are the results.

I'm sure there are some differing opinions (and many comments about my playing) to be had here.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
pompatus

Re: Wasted a few hours testing 13 mouthpieces on bass

Post by pompatus »

Interesting experiment, Aidan. I assume the GB 1 .312 #2s each performed better for you because that's your primary piece and what you've been most comfortable with in recent times.

What design similarities have you noticed in pieces that have similar sound characteristics? For example, the larger mouthpieces you mentioned all had a broader sound, while the smaller had much more core or focus, but what comparisons were you able to make between the mass or cup shape or other design properties and their similarities between all of the ones you'd tested?
Steve335

Post by Steve335 »

I preferred no 3
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

pompatus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 am Interesting experiment, Aidan. I assume the GB 1 .312 #2s each performed better for you because that's your primary piece and what you've been most comfortable with in recent times.

What design similarities have you noticed in pieces that have similar sound characteristics? For example, the larger mouthpieces you mentioned all had a broader sound, while the smaller had much more core or focus, but what comparisons were you able to make between the mass or cup shape or other design properties and their similarities between all of the ones you'd tested?
Yes, the real answer to this experiment is that "aidan is better at the mouthpiece he plays all the time." But that's a bit boring!

I prefer a mouthpiece with a bit of mass. It gives the player a bit of cushion with dynamics that a light mouthpiece just doesn't give you. It's why I prefer the GBs over the Laskey 93D, for instance. The 93D is very good, but if I lean on it the way I can with the Greg Blacks, it starts to respond very strangely and sounds much different.

Most of the older pieces are pretty light, since they are reamed out from tenor blanks. I think if you're fine staying below a certain dynamic threshold, then those pieces will work fine- for instance, the GR Replica I have on a vintage horn sounds simply like George himself, which is really great, but simply stops working after a (quite low) dynamic cap. George wasn't really known for his loud playing, which makes sense.

I think some people prefer to have the mouthpiece (and horn, but forget horns!) be light and/or small, to have it light up when pushed. At a distance, the core to the sound doesn't matter quite as much as the zing in the sound from being leaned on, which usually carries more anyway. Those are not my tastes, which is why I play the equipment that I do.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Steve335 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:03 am I preferred no 3
That one is probably my least favorite of the bunch! But that particular rep does sound ok of the Creation.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm ...I prefer a mouthpiece with a bit of mass.
Which weight of Greg Black are you using with your 1G .312 #2?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

pompatus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm ...I prefer a mouthpiece with a bit of mass.
Which weight of Greg Black are you using with your 1G .312 #2?
Regular. I've tried all but heavy, and the regular is best for me.

Return to “Mouthpieces”