Greg Black Mouthpiece Co.

rmb796

Greg Black Mouthpiece Co.

Post by rmb796 »

Does anyone know if Greg Black is still in business? I ordered a mouthpiece on August 8th and have not received it yet. That is not a problem , but they do not answer their phone or return messages. Also , you cant send them an email from their sight. I tried a PM on their facebook page and that didn't get a response either.
Burgerbob

Re: Greg Black Mouthpiece Co.

Post by Burgerbob »

He's in business, but he works on Greg Black time. Only a month is a pretty short on that scale!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Greg runs a one-man shop, and he's a lot better at making mouthpieces than keeping records. He also sells what he makes about as fast as he can make it, so there's really nothing sitting around waiting to be ordered and shipped.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmb796

Post by rmb796 »

I don't mind the wait but some communication would be nice.
I ran a small business for 35 years and always returned calls and hired help to answer the phone and help customers.
Just sayin.

Looking forward to the mouthpiece.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

rmb796 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 pm I don't mind the wait but some communication would be nice.
I ran a small business for 35 years and always returned calls and hired help to answer the phone and help customers.
Just sayin.

Looking forward to the mouthpiece.
We applaud you for your efforts. Greg runs things his way, and he makes some of the best mouthpieces available.

FWIW he does have help- his dog does QC. http://www.gregblackmouthpieces.com/quality.htm
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Being busy is no excuse for poor communication. There are other mouthpiece makers, making world class products, out there who are terribly busy that bother to answer an email or phone call.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:09 am Being busy is no excuse for poor communication. There are other mouthpiece makers, making world class products, out there who are terribly busy that bother to answer an email or phone call.
Those other manufacturers don't make Greg Black mouthpieces, and if what you're looking for is specifically one of Greg's mouthpieces, you will put up with some inconvenience. If faster service is more important to you, or if you're just as happy with a different make of mouthpiece, then of course, shop elsewhere. At this point, his business model is pretty much set, and the quality of his work is well known. Make your decision as to where you're shopping based on what matters most to you.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A fair number of people have reported similar difficulties dealing with Mr. Black. Sometimes you’re lucky and he’s got what you’re looking for in stock. And sometimes not. And then you wait.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:09 am Being busy is no excuse for poor communication. There are other mouthpiece makers, making world class products, out there who are terribly busy that bother to answer an email or phone call.
Those other manufacturers don't make Greg Black mouthpieces, and if what you're looking for is specifically one of Greg's mouthpieces, you will put up with some inconvenience. If faster service is more important to you, or if you're just as happy with a different make of mouthpiece, then of course, shop elsewhere. At this point, his business model is pretty much set, and the quality of his work is well known. Make your decision as to where you're shopping based on what matters most to you.
Of course those other manufacturers don't make GB mouthpieces, but that's not my point. I'm only stating that other people in the business or any business for that matter are terribly busy and bother to contact their customers.

He apparently has a lot of people willing to put up with his quirks for his product so there is little incentive to change.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

norbie2018 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:02 am
CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Of course those other manufacturers don't make GB mouthpieces, but that's not my point. I'm only stating that other people in the business or any business for that matter are terribly busy and bother to contact their customers.

He apparently has a lot of people willing to put up with his quirks for his product so there is little incentive to change.
Complaining about bad service when that's the norm for a vendor is counterproductive. There are a few people who seem to have that problem. If it galls you, simply go elsewhere. While I'm sure Greg's mouthpieces are superb he's not the only person making mouthpieces and I'm sure you can find somebody else who will meet your service requirements and your mouthpiece needs.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I am looking at this more from the business owner's perspective. Since retiring from the Navy I have worked as a defense contractor. If I don't respond to an email within 24 hrs, it is considered bad business. Most defense contractors try and respond within an hour, even if to say I'm tied up and will be back to you as soon as I can. While I haven't worked with Greg Black, I have worked with many other small business owners like him. Very few of them are good communicators. A few are very good communicators and I tend to go to them when I need something if possible.

How long does it take to respond to an email? I think that if I had the courage to start a business, I would want to grow my business. Can you imagine a world where the manufacturer/tech contacts you on the promised delivery date to tell you something you already knew--the item is going to be late??.. Can you imagine a world where, after paying $5,000 plus for a trombone, and waiting several months for delivery, you get a phone call or an email asking how the instrument is working for you? Do you have any questions? Etc.... It's commonly referred to as customer service. Just knowing someone care goes a long way.

If a business owner isn't interested in good customer service, then that is his/her business model and it is what it is. Personally this notion of knowingly putting up with bad service reflects more on you than the business owner. Especially for something as transient as a mouthpiece. Check the classified section and see how many Greg Black mps are listed.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Patience.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:41 am
norbie2018 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:02 am

Complaining about bad service when that's the norm for a vendor is counterproductive. There are a few people who seem to have that problem. If it galls you, simply go elsewhere. While I'm sure Greg's mouthpieces are superb he's not the only person making mouthpieces and I'm sure you can find somebody else who will meet your service requirements and your mouthpiece needs.
Who's complaining, I only made a factual statement. Galls me? How could you possibly ascertain that from my post? I have never dealt with GB and never stated I did. I never tried ordering a GB mp because of the well known communication problems he has. It would be helpful if you actually read my posts before responding to them, because from your response you haven't.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Walleye wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 am Check the classified section and see how many Greg Black mps are listed.
I am not sure if you are meaning to suggest a large number of GB mouthpieces listed in the classifieds means that his product is inferior, but I think that notion is simply not true. Part of the reason there are many in circulation could be because there are so many options he offers, similar to how there is always DE parts for sale.

If the service and product were both bad, nobody would bother buying them. Clearly this isn't the case.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Mv2541 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Walleye wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 am Check the classified section and see how many Greg Black mps are listed.
I am not sure if you are meaning to suggest a large number of GB mouthpieces listed in the classifieds means that his product is inferior, but I think that notion is simply not true. Part of the reason there are many in circulation could be because there are so many options he offers, similar to how there is always DE parts for sale.

If the service and product were both bad, nobody would bother buying them. Clearly this isn't the case.
Given the context it would seem to me the idea is that mouthpieces are generally high-volume items because they may or may not work for a given player, so one might go through several iterations until one is happy. It isn't an implication that the piece are inferior because they are re-sold. At least that's my take.

I tend to share the sentiment, but Greg is a nice guy and people who like his pieces seem to deal with his lack of communication. Those that don't move on. Been like that for ~20... maybe even 30 years? Professional? Depends on how you look at it. Obviously it's working to some degree or he would be out of business. I don't personally work with Greg because I like Doug's pieces and he's gotten stuff out the door literally the same day that I ordered it. If Greg's stuff was magical for me, maybe my tune would be different but Greg is neither the entirety of the market nor really indicative of customer experience of the market either.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Well then, it's a good thing for Greg that he doesn't need to make excuses to you.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Matt K wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 pm
Mv2541 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Given the context it would seem to me the idea is that mouthpieces are generally high-volume items because they may or may not work for a given player, so one might go through several iterations until one is happy. It isn't an implication that the piece are inferior because they are re-sold. At least that's my take.

I tend to share the sentiment, but Greg is a nice guy and people who like his pieces seem to deal with his lack of communication. Those that don't move on. Been like that for ~20... maybe even 30 years? Professional? Depends on how you look at it. Obviously it's working to some degree or he would be out of business. I don't personally work with Greg because I like Doug's pieces and he's gotten stuff out the door literally the same day that I ordered it. If Greg's stuff was magical for me, maybe my tune would be different but Greg is neither the entirety of the market nor really indicative of customer experience of the market either.
Matt, it's nice to see that someone can comprehend the context of a thought. I Have never played a Greg Black mp, so I have no personal comment on how it plays or it's quality. I would assume the quality is good/very good given the volume that he sells.

I went back and read the OP's comments/questions and I think the first two responders gave him the info that he was looking for. He probably has never worked with or met Greg. I assume that when you order a mp, from Greg or anyone, that you pay for it up front. In my opinion, and it's my opinion only, once someone has your money they owe you a service and/or a product. Even something as simple as a receipt or acknowledgement of payment received is nice to have. Some people can deal with Greg's apparent business model, some, like me, can't. As stated on another post, look to one of the other countless mp makers if you want service and a product.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I know a guy who knows a guy who has his cell number.
Steve335

Post by Steve335 »

In the past I got a piece in a week or two, and I’ve also canceled orders after several months of waiting.
He makes good pieces, but I had enough of waiting months for something i might not even like.....
And after a long frustrating wait.....I decided they weren’t for me!
Most people that want to change mouthpiece want to do it quickly, not in several months time.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

So much of what we purchase online these days can be delivered to your doorstep within days, via giant manufacturers and corporations. Perhaps that has skewed our expectations. A one-man operation is a little different...

I've ordered many pieces from Greg over the last decade or so. I've waited between two weeks and six months for pieces to arrive, so it's obviously very dependent on whether he just happens to have a piece in stock, or whether you're at the back of a queue behind a large order from a place such as Dillon's Music, I guess.

Of course one would prefer the mouthpiece to arrive sooner than later, but I've yet to discover a mouthpiece that ceases to function the moment I decide to order a replacement...

Andrew
Steve335

Post by Steve335 »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 pm Of course one would prefer the mouthpiece to arrive sooner than later, but I've yet to discover a mouthpiece that ceases to function the moment I decide to order a replacement...
That’s an interesting insight/ perspective Bone Ranger. You are absolutely right and I completely get your point of view. In my own experience I don’t feel the same way about changing mouthpieces though.
When I decide to make a change it’s because I have made a decision that what I’m playing on isn’t working, or has too many limitations and I tend to reject it. Maybe the rim shape isn’t comfortable on my chops, or perhaps I feel I’m never going to make the kind of sound I want to on it.
When I get to the rejection phase I don’t want to continue the relationship anymore, and I want to move on quickly. I definitely don’t want to order from Greg then wait for many months.
It would be better for me though if I felt the same way you did.

Return to “Mouthpieces”