Bach Bass Mouthpiece

piezer

Bach Bass Mouthpiece

Post by piezer »

I was reading the "who in their right mind plays a Bach 1.5G" thread from the old trombone forum and a lot of people were complaining about the quality of new Bach mouthpieces. I'm in the market for a new Bass mouthpiece and I was wondering if 13 years later the quality of Bachs has stayed the same or if I'm safe to get one.

Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Bach Bass Mouthpiece

Post by BGuttman »

I would strongly recommend trying before you buy a Bach. It could be wonderful or awful. And if you are just learning to play, even an awful one is going to be OK as you learn to live with it.

There are other mouthpieces of that size that might be better: Schilke 58, Yamaha 59, Marcinkiewicz 1 1/2 G, Warburton (I think a 4; 3 is a little larger than a 1 1/2 G). There are also Hammond and Laskey (don't know the exact numbers - maybe Hammond 19). If you don't mind plastic, the Kelly 1.5G can be had in some really cool colors.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd almost always recommend going Faxx if you want a size they offer. They get a lot of nice things said about them, they're cheap, and they're basically just good copies of common Bach sizes.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Modern Bachs are CNC made and just fine.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

What Burger bob said. They are really consistent now.

Return to “Mouthpieces”